What the heck is wrong with people!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Nov 29, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

This makes me sick!!!

ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    check this out......this is true...

yesterday i was shopping with my family at a store called K&G...they sell suits and dress clothes for men and women.......my wife wanted a new scarf, and they were having an insane sale on these scarves...as my wife rummaged through a few, she pulled one out she wanted....the lady next to her commented that she admired it as well.....as my wife turned to hand it to me, this lady grabbed the freakin scarf out of her hand and told me wife she saw it first....i confronted the woman about giving me the scarf, and she screamed for security.....yes, she screamed as if i was assaulting her.....when the security guy approached me i started laughing, and so did he....i walked away with my wife and let the b!tch stand there with her precious scarf.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its always women.

Internet shopping... its your friend.
  4. Yeah, people don't realize that A: what they're buying is crap, and B: They could find the same price on the internet.

I have a friend who buys into this crap, and unfortunately didn't get his e-machines because of a mob like this before him at Wal-Mart yesterday morning.:( :rolleyes:

People are dumb.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    See what christmas has become!

The spirit of giving is now the spirit of taking!

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    people are truly disgusting!!!
    i spent yrs in the retail biz and people are much different when they have a few bucks to spend. royalty... no.... pompus... to say the least!
    RE: walmart... no words! that makes me want to carry a water gun full of LSD!!! no no no just a dream of mine! as a new yorker, one has many thoughts of ill behavior. people are sick!
    spread the love and treat your bro/sis as you would want to be treated yourself!
  7. a 29 dollar dvd player :eek:

ill take 3 please! :D
  8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sorry Def, the tranpled lady got the last one.
  9. well dangit! anyawys...

IMO: its the stores fault crap like this happens. they say stuff like "SUPER SALE, BUT ITS ONLY GONNA LAST 30 MINS" and that makes a lotta people cram into a place in a short amount of time, and since money is involved people tend to get uptight about it. just stupid :meh:
  10. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i heard that if your waters break in Tescos they give you a years supply of diapers.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    BAH! That is disgusting that people could turn into a bunch of freakin' animals over a trashy DVD player.
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, that was an interesting trampling rehearsal for many people. What's wrong with that ?

Stoppin' jokin' now, that's a shame.

14. Geez,

When you find yourself going down in a moshpit at a death metal concert with 300 of those 250 lb half drunk grunts slamming around you..... EVEN THEN - THEY PUT YOU BACK ON YOUR FEET!!!!!!!!
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, rock audiences are always more considerate than pop listeners (square people), ever tried to make your way thru a hall to the rest room at a pop concert? No way.
    Rockers or metal guys are much more relaxed and friendly.
  16. She could have died, and they OFFERD TO PUT SOMETHING WORTH $29 ON HOLD FOR HER? :rolleyes:

That's all? :confused:

What a world.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

Ahhh, the beauty of moshing!
  18. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    im with micheal j here. the lady had a seizure and they offer to put a dvd player on hold for her. they could at least give her one for free. i dont know if there are any grounds for lawsuit because it was the idiot shoppers' faults, but how retarted of walmart.

"we are very disappointed this happened, we want her to come back as a shopper"

how bout "we feel horrible about this whole situation and hope she recovers well."

this whole spirit of giving at christmas has turned into "lets all be cheapskates and find the best deal so we can spend the smallest amount of money and still find a decent gift."

just my $.07
  19. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    it was a dvd player sale. they were $29.