What the heck? My WT-800 picked up a radio station

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I was practicing and I noticed that my WT-800 picked up a radio station and I could hear it through my cabinet, what the heck? I hate it, sucks.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is more likely a result of the shielding of either the cable or the PUs in the bass. I have never seen an amp pickup RF without something plugged into it. It is certainly possible, but I have never seen it.

3. I switched the amp off and on again, it seemed to disappear, but I would hate this to happen during rehearsal or a gig.
  4. My old guitarist's marshall amp used to pick up CB radio when truckers drove by the rehersal space!
  5. God, I think it must be the pre amp tube section, I hate tube, more trouble than it's worth. Should gotten a solid state head.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    uh...i've had tube stuff in some form for many many years, and i've never had anything like what you described.

tubes are good.

did it do it without your bass plugged in? try to get it to happen again, turn the amp on and leave it on for a while with nothing plugged into it. then plug in your bass and leave it for a while.

Edens are good enough amps that i would think (hope!) they wouldn't pick up RF.

7. I was practicing with my bass and I could hear the radio station while I was playing, weird, sucks so bad.
  8. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Dont want it to happen live? I think it would be a cool "effect" if it happened at the right time. Then again I wouldnt want to be in the middle of a quite bridge section of a song and here some lame talk show come through the P.A. That would suck. I have never had such a thing happen to me with any tube amp I'v owned. all tube and hybrid alike.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Tubes won't have anything to do with it picking up radio stations. It would do the same with an SS.
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oddly enough, I had just that thing happen with my WT-800. It turned out to be my cable from bass to the amp. I was absolutely sure that it was the head. I really don't think that it's your WT-800.
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    It was your bass dude trust me. Pups need better sheilding or just need better pups. What was your setup?
  12. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've only had solid state equipment do this. I had an Ampeg B2R that did it, but my WT-800 hasn't. I'm using the same bass and cable.

One time I was playing in a cover band at a place close to a Pizza Hut with some sort of wireless communication running in it, I don't really know since we didn't go in there or anything. But occasionally our solid state P.A. amp (or something plugged into it like others have mentioned) picked it up, but it was barely audible due to a weak signal so it didn't ruin the gig or anything.
  13. reminds me of the Spinal Tap gig where they played the military dance and the tower was picked up by the wireless system. Made Nigel quit, but he later came back, thank God!

I'll bet you one WT-800 it's not the amp, but the bass or cables. If I'm wrong, just ship the amp to me ;)
  14. My WT-600 has never had that problem. The problem is definitely from the cable and/or pickups.
  15. I think it was my cable from amp to bass. My set up is an Elrick Jazz Bass with Bart pick up. This didn't happen when I plug in to my friends Fender Bass Combo.
  16. I also got a Korg tuner connected from the Tuner out.
  17. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    It wont happen all the time, its a hit or miss thing. I have seen it many times and it has always been either the cords or the bass. Not saying it couldnt be the amp but I highly highly doubt it. Normally some extra sheild paint in the cavity of the bass and making sure all your cords are good sheilded cords and you should be free of the problem.
  18. My WT800 has never done that by itsself, it's always been naff shielding on cables or the pickups themselves. If you're unlucky it could be an internal wire/component that has gone south...

I don't know whether a microphonic preamp tube could cause it also...
  19. You guys are right, it's my bass, I mess around with the pups and tighten here and there, open up the cavity and re arrange the cables, not picking up RF anymore but going to go to radio shack and get me self copper sheets and stuff some more in the cavity.

Also changed the pre amp tube in my Eden to the one I bought from Upscale Audio called Mazda(nothing to do with car), it's a real vintage tube and graded A for low noise and A for microphonic, much quiter than the Electro Harmonix that came with the Eden, but at a price.

So there you have it, I'm a happy camper again.