Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the heck? SUPER DEAL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 27, 2005.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    NEW old model HARTKE HA3500 AT ZZOUNDS.COM FOR $300 (free shipping)

I just found this very interesting since i'm in the market for something right now..

It's a nice deal for those looking to buy this particular amp..

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTK3500

2. groovy. that is indeed a nice deal.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally I would rather pay $300 for an old used Hartke 3500 than a brand new HA3500. The newer models are just not that powerful and definately not as reliable. Do a search, you'll see.

4. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh.. don't get me wrong.. the old one sounds very promising...(i've never played one but have read a lot about it) but for a new amp and warranty that usually costs $450.. this is a pretty good deal..

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Its not a good deal if its not reliable. Warantee service takes time. I had a 3500 and it did nothing except fall apart slowly.

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I know many say the new gray faced Hartke's are not as good, but is there actually a model difference between older and newer black faced Hartke's? I have both an older 3500 and 7000 and I noticed some of the same (assuming) models don't have the blend knob on the effects loop. Is this an indicator of something?

FWIW, I've had zero trouble with either Hartke (owned the 7000 since '93, play full time) and even owned a second 3500 for a short time that also performed flawlessly.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Bah.

I was expecting to see the REAL old 3500. That's the one you want. As far as I've heard, this one's no different from the new ones except for the color of the case.

You really want the old old one, not the HA series one.

8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ha.. yeah. just for anyone in the market for new gear i thought i'd throw the heads up out there.

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The old ones use MOSFET which give them a lot better sound. The newer ones don't and sound pretty sterile.

My old 5000 sounded just about right without all the grounding hiss it had :)

10. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    yeah.. i just see people buying the HA's used for $320 plus shipping.. and thought it may be nice for them to save some money if they're going to spend it there anyway.

(btw. .i had a newer HA3500 for a couple years and loved it.. no problems and great sound.. (did notice some hiss, (but also noticed hiss in most amps (besides the swr) that i owned)).. sold it for an Ashdown and couldn't dig as much.. sold that for another Ashdown (thought it was just the model) and didn't score there either.. so.. I'm lookin' again and it's up between any Hartke, GK or Eden.. i assume the older Hartke does sound better and wouldn't mind checkin' it out, but new for the same price is hard to beat (granted they're different i know i like the HA's already.. and some other people are still in the market for them))..

so, yes.. i understand the ha's may not sound as good, but they are the cheapest they've ever been.. and they MAY be a deal for anyone in the market for that particular amp.. ha

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Do the "real old" ones not say "HA" (or something else) on the front?

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Really?!? I paid only $240 for mine and bought another in a anvil style 4 space rack for only $199 (granted, an unusually good price). There are so many available I would never pay more than $250 + shipping for one (unless NOS).

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea there is no HA in front of the numbers it would just say: Hartky 5000 "Transient Attack" on the upper right side.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, skimming some on-line sites I've found 3 versions of the black faced version.
    One that actually says "Mosfet" after the 3500, 7000, etc..
    Of course, the "HA" version.
    And one that has neither the "Mosfet" or the "HA", just 3500, 7000, etc..

Any ideas on the ones that have neither (HA or Mosfet).?