1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What the heck ?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Aaron Corlew, Sep 2, 2017.

1. im greener than a new born tomato... with Internet forums..
    I do play bass .. 35 years to be exact... I'm at the point that I just want to thump
    bluegrass and relax camping and suck.. I'm wondering if you fellers can tell me what this bass is that I have purchased..

My email is. oprtstation@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Fellow said it was E.Martin ? Please help..

3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Does it have a label inside? Look through on of the f holes to see if it says anything about it.

4. I don't have it home yet.. He said sticker inside said E.Martin ..

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The bridge is in the wrong place. You're going to need to get it to a qualified string person for at least a set up. They will be able to tell you a lot more about it.

6. I don't care about that .. can measure and do my own set up .. Just looking to see what this solid maple body bass is ...

7. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    neck looks twisted in that first photo... that could be a pretty big problem.

8. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Chiropracter??

9. Don't care if the neck looks twisted.. Just want opinion of what the bass is ..

10. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    F****d. That's my opinion of what that bass is

ColdEye likes this.
  11. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Harsh.

12. Well, I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome to this forum and for all the knowledge and insight to the issue I was inquiring on..

13. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    So sorry that nobody could identify your bass from a few poor-quality pictures. And of course you can measure and do your own setup. Enjoy.

14. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You might not have much experience on this site. The discourse here is usually a bit more on the friendly side. I realize you just want info on the bass and no other conversation, but please understand, we aren't all experts on everything bass. And the more posts to your issue, the longer it stays near the top of the questions till someone who might actually have information for you see's it and chimes in with an answer.

15. Xanderzb

Xanderzb

Dec 29, 2014
    Cascadia
    A few pokes around on Google gave some indicators of a double bass builder by the name of H. E. Martin, from Australia, early 20th Century. There is also the maker, Thomas & George Martin - found by searching for "e. martin double bass".

The earlier advice about bringing it in to a reputable luthier is about the best you can hope to do. Knowing things about the name of the maker is less important than the functional details of a specific instrument.

Hoyt and bassfran like this.
  16. Without the inside label information or even an inside shot of the construction, it's tough to tell if it's a Czech made student level bass, a CCB (cheap Chinese bass), or even a BSO (bass shaped object).

That said, who cares? You bought it and now it's yours. Get it setup and have some fun.

You mentioned playing bluegrass, so it would be smart to have a qualified Luthier at least do the initial setup so you can really get that thing to sing acoustically with proper sound post placement, bridge height, etc.

Francois Blais likes this.
  17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It looks like a beat up school bass. Getting the bridge in the right place is not a big deal, especially for a plywood bass.
    This is a good video, even if they price gouge for bow rehairs:

Hoyt likes this.
  18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't think this guy is coming back. He had no interest in this community. As he said, he didn't care about anything other than the info he wanted.

ColdEye likes this.
  19. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    There's one person who came to this thread with a particularly rude attitude. And that person, my friend, is you.

20. Sorry for the slow or lack of communication...
    Finally got back from Florida.. Been a long week.
    FedEx delivered the bass to my front porch where
    It sat for a week in the rain before I got home.
    The bass is a 5/8 size E. Martin Bruno .. Germany.
    The neck, yes is twisted like a screw ..
    I took the neck off and it's not a dovetail ? Strange !
    But anyhow now I have to get tips from you buggers
    on how to heat or steam the neck straight again.
    Again sorry for the anxiety I induced and misunderstanding.