what the hell did i do to my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by siberiankiss, Nov 29, 2002.

1. siberiankiss

Sep 12, 2002
    allright, so i went to turn on my amp this morning (GK 700rb --> avatar 4X10 4-ohm) and the first time i turned it on, it acted like it was warming up as usual (little red light comes on for a second, then the green light comes on and you can play) but instead of the green light coming on it just made a loud thump then tuned off. keep in mind the button is still in the "on" position. so i attempted to turn it off, and it turned on. but when it turned on the speakers were in x-max (fully extended) for a couple seconds then they went back to normal, and it made a couple more thumps. then i pressed the button to go back into the "on" position and it made 2 more quick thumps but was acting normalls. i played a few notes at really low volume and they sounded fine. the more agressive i played the notes started sounding a bit distorted (still at low volume, using volume control on the bass, not the amp) but i think that was the bass itseld (need a new battery. whenever the battery is really old it starts sounding distorted, i dont know why). ive repeated this twice now and the same thing has happened. i hae no clue what is happening to my amp right now. if anyone could shed some light i would be much appreciative. thanks again

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sounds like the preamp tubes are shot. Im not sure if this G-K's so it maybe solid state. But to me it sounds like it needs new preamp tubes.

If it is they are easy to replace.
  3. siberiankiss

Sep 12, 2002
    yea its gallien krueger so no preamp tubes. i realized that i had a box sitting on the fan vent so i took that off, and now it is working normally. but that box had been there for a long time so it seems to me like it would of done this before if that was infact what was causing it. i took it off and it started up completely normal, so i dont know. any other ideas as to what is/was happening would be great. thanks

4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    It was probably the fact that the fan vents were blocked.I know the 700RB checks for stuff like that while powering up and will go into protect if something is wrong.Mabye it didn't detect it for some reason before.IME it's not a good idea to block a cooling vent on any amp.The more airflow around the amp the better.A cooler amp will also sound better.Hope everythings alright now.