What the hell does emo mean?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 6, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, EMO, we've all seen this word used jillions of times, I've heard definitions ranging from crying in the dark to emotion, and I don't know what to believe. What does it mean?

I'm looking at you, toasted. ;)
  2. The first real "emo" band I knew of was Hoover. I played a show with them in like 92 or so. I was thrilled to death to be playing with a Dischord band. They were busy crying while they were playing. It was then that that I knew, whatever "emo" was, I wanted nothing to do with it.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It means "I'm a guy who has pawned his nuts", or "I'm a man who wishes he had a vagina".
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's slang for "trendy"
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Basically it describes music fans like Matt Till. He's the prototype emo-kid.
  6. It used to mean heavily dynamic, artsy/literary post-hardcore punk rock, with a strong emphasis on emotional catharsis. It was lyrically self-absorbed, but one gets the impression that lyrics were sorta secondary for Rites of Spring (the commonly cited originators of the style).

Most contemporary "emo" bands, by comparison, are weak and/or predictable on the dynamics, and considerably less literate. However, the self-absorption is still there. It's easier to achieve catharsis by screaming like a little girl or crying like a chump than through competent musicianship.

I think it should be pointed out that one of the bands that supposedly exemplified the "nü-metal" style that today's "emo" bands have made commercially unviable, the Deftones, are much closer in spirit and practice to Rites of Spring than are "emo" acts like the Used or My Chemical Romance. Irony's a bitch.
  7. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005

"I'm so emotional, look at me cry, why don't girls like me"

I'm pretty sure this comes from the combination of disco and punk rock.
  8. +1 to Pete.

Emo = emotion. Emo was first and foremost about dynamics and angst.

Also important to note is that early emo was a very low-fi, indie only kind of thing. Today's over-produced emo sounds funny to me - too much polish.

For a good example of earlier emo, try Sunny Day Real Estate - their 1994 album Diary is a great piece of emo, very dyanmic and raw - it's the template for a lot of modern emo bands. IMO, good stuff. You may hate it, lol.
  9. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I think mewithoutYou's A-B Life is a good example of a true emo album, but I could be very wrong depending on who you ask.
  10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, I guess you're right.
  12. well used by the death metal and hardcore kids, the term "emo" is thrown around just as easy as "sounds like ****". u'll never hear an emo kid owning up to any of this tho. in their eyes it will be "hardcore" or "punk" to cry into a microphone and crawl into a cupboard after practices.:rollno:
  13. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    bunch of pity seeking idiots that are going to realise they wasted the best years of their ife crying
  14. No you don't! Don't bring disco into this!
  15. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    No wonder, you didn't have to live through the Disco Era. I thought we put a stake in the heart of that years ago. I'm still emotionally scarred.:) DEATH BEFORE DISCO!

just kidding, have fun where you can find it.:)
  16. And dammit, it's ALL JOHN TRAVOLTA'S FAULT!!!

Emo is what a bunch of 14 year old white rich kids who live in nice houses in nice neighborhoods use as an outlet for the angst that they feel because their dad was too busy slamming his secretary and trying to gouge his rich clients to come to the kids birthday party, and because their mom was too drunk, or too stupid, or too caught up in a relly bad version of Desperate Housewives but with less acting ability, less actractiveness, and more public sex, to really care about that kid when the girl that they asked out at their private school turned them down for someone in a public school with a leather jacket and a moped.

Or something like that. I hate emo.

Rock on
  17. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005

18. Disco=sold out, watered-down funk
    Emo=sold out punk(at this point, a complete & total redundancy)