Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell does GAS'ing mean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Lusting after gear, basically.

GAS is Gear Acquistion Syndrome.

3. keneds

keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    EXAMPLE: I been reading so many good things about them so I had to order a PEAVEY CIRRUS and it is due in any day now.That is GAS......... But now I have GAS PAINS because this thing is taking forever to get here, every time I hear a UPS truck drive by my house I get all excited just to watch it keep going, forcing me to wait yet another long day for it's delivery. sighhhhhhhhhhhhh:rollno:

4. Sometimes I think that it is a rare disease that won't go away.

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Just to put a bit of color into it...

You know how you open up a "Show me your <insert brand here>" thread, and you see a killer ax that just makes you twist and writhe in agony because now you're just dying to get one?

Yeah, that's it.

GAS attacks, when witnessed by the unknowing bystander, can resemble random fits of spasms and convulsions, and seizures. Other times I can result in uncontroled salivation, and in extreme cases foaming at the mouth.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Honestly, I have to sit there and wonder about a few of the other abbreviations. Like IMHO - not this particular one, but I've seen a few others that I don't understand. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, I would appreciate you posting 2 or 3 of the more common ones, and what their meaning is.

Skel

7. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Just do a search on internet or email abbreviations.

Here's a site:

http://gei.aerobatics.ws/smileys.html

FWIW, I would only use the more common ones so most people would understand you.

8. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    "QTF" (quoted for truth) and FTW (for the win) have been some recent addtions popping up on forums.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ya know - those phrases just don't seem that commonly used to merrit an abbreviation. But that's just me.

Skel

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its basicly gear lust. :bag:

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I know, but they seem to be the new fad on other forums, kinda like IBTL (in before the lock) started going around, like buzzards around a threat that was doomed to be locked from the very first post.

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

Ok. I think I just need to start drinking more. But that's just me.

Skel

13. Here is my version of GAS that I posted on the Roscoe thread. It occurred again having to see those pics looking for the post!

Roscoes make me sick to my stomach. I'm serious, the gas just rolls over me and has an actual physical sensation. These are some of the only basses that have such a profound effect on me. I start looking over at my '65p & '82j and dark swirling images of postage and packaging begin to take hold. My Fenders cringe as the little voice claws its way through reason. "Do it... Do it... Doooiiitttsssss." I know better than to pick up one of the battle scarred veterans during a Roscoe attack as my hands will instantly go to the chip from '72, the gouge from '74, the buckle rash. My eyes will linger on the Roto-worn frets, tarnished keys and the forlorn finish. My babies have aged and the years weigh heavily.

I try to avert my eyes from the monitor as the gas roils my body with unbearable intensity but to no avail as I fall into the abyss of quilted, spalted, flamed, birds-eyed, exotic, unblemished, pristine perfection. Am I gazing into the eyes of my true love or hearing the song of the sirens in my head only to be dashed on the rocks? I shakily force the cursor to the X (quick, while you still have hope) and close the window. ROSCOE! The images are seared.

Relief floods my body. Or is it despair? For I know that one thing and one thing only saves me from certain gas doom.

I've never played one.

Woe be unto the person who solves this unrequited love. I curse thee now.

See? This is what happens when one hangs with a bunch of musicians all night and doesn't get enough sleep.

14. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Thank you for making this thread. I'm new here, and I figured out the basic meaning of GAS, but I've been dying to know what the acronym is for. And I finally know! I feel enlightened.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Okay. Now THIS Thread should be a sticky.
    Don't you Mod's get fed up with this question? haha

;)

-Mark

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I did a search for GAS when I first started using TB. Before long, I started developing GAS myself. Less than a year later, I have tons of high-end equipment- totally different from what I started with. It's a magical thing.

17. ricardex

ricardex

Mar 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    MIA: that one took me centuries to understand...:bag:

Made in America isn't it? :D

18. It's what I do 2 or 3 times a week. I get really shoddy mileage...

;)

-ryan-

19. Chazzz

Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    I'm glad someone asked about GAS. I was sure it was probably in a FAQ somewhere that I either couldn't find or skimmed too fast. (I'm well aware of long-standing RTFM/RTFFAQ requirements...) Man!

At least now I know I have it too... But I think mine will be mostly satisfied after I get a mostly-matching pair of custom 6's, a real Fender Jazz, then maybe a Sadowsky NYC (customized a bit) to replace my Metro... Then something to replace my aged Peavey TNT 100, and then a good FX processor... then... :meh:

Aw, crap. It's never-ending, isn't it?! :crying:

20. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001

What?!

You'd have to be some kind of dumbass to think it was that!

;)