Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell happened to my DB680!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Jan 22, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Last night I was playing at a gig and later on during the set I starting noticing a crackling sound coming in and out of my cab. I thought I had a bad guitar cable and I messed with it while playing and I thought it went away. Then a few songs later it started crackling again and all of sudden I get this really nasty feedback, I think it was a "G", and I couldnt hear my bass through the cab. The pre-amp smelled like something was burining in it. Later on when I got home tested out my pre-amp to see if I could troubleshoot the problem. The nasty feedback wasnt there anymore but now I have to cranck the hell out of the master volume and the gain knobs to get only a small amount of volume from my cab. I use a GK1001RB as a power amp and it seems fine becasue I tested that out with an RNP pre-amp. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my DB680 pre-amp!
    thanks in advance

2. One or more components in your pre-amp has either over-heated and or shorted out. Don't turn it on anymore, you may do more damage to otherwise un-damaged components. Have it looked at by a qualified service tech.....:(

3. If you are the original purchaser, there is a long warranty.

If not, you're out of luck, and will have to pay Aguilar to fix it. No doubt it will be expensive.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You're a big Aguilar fan, aren't you b?

5. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone know of a qualified service tech in the Los Angeles area?

6. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned an Aguilar DB 359 for about 5 months. It was in the shop for about 6 weeks. I sold it . I would ship it to Aguilar. Their customer was good. Ask for Geoff .

7. i have had the 359 do the same thing but in that case it was a power tube. they are pretty good about honoring their warranty stuff, after all an aguilar is an aguilar so they fixed it

8. Van,

Actually, I'd like to own/try a DB680.

I just find it pretentious they are so DAMN expensive, and yet have a non-transferrable warranty. IMO, this is insulting to a customer, as the product itself should have a quality warranty which is not restricted to the 1st purchaser.

My daugher got an X-Box for christmas, and the sales guy told her it is very important to keep ALL the plastic bags, wire ties, etc, if she needs warranty service. Reason: the manufacturer uses this is a means to weasle out of warranty service. If ANYTHING is missing, they refuse to honor the warranty. Then again, Microsoft is the manufacturer, so I'm not at all surprised.

9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    The problem with my DB-559 was intermittent power tube failure. They did fix it and I was satisfied with the customer service.