Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell is a prunes and custard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Apr 12, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    And what does it do?

2. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
  3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    So, from what I've gathered, It's a filter-fuzz-sub kind of thing. Ala microsynth? Sounds nifty. Is it available in the US?

4. It's actually an "Intermodulating " distortion box. Sounds like a fuzz with a wacky sweep you you can mix in. The coolest thing is that it is entirely touch-sensitive. Not like a micro synth...more like a weird distortion-fuzz.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You can get it in the US from musictoyz.

The range of sounds that you can get out of this thing is unreal -- from a little dirt to completely fuzzed-out distorted squeching mayhem! :cool:

Like Mad Sub, I'd have to say that this is my favorite effect of all time.

Hmmm... wouldn't it be cool to be able to hook up expression pedals to the Mix and Drive controls? Maybe I should e-mail Paul Crowther about that.... :D

6. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Damn you all the way to Hades Mad Subwoofer! I thought it was a straight envelope filter (knowing your love for them). Now you've made me think I need one and I allready have a Bass Whammy, micro-synth, bass-driver, MutronIII, Mutron octave Divider, Script Phase100 and some sort of many,many knobbed pedal from 3ms http://www.commonsound.com/3ms/ (don't care what it does, so long as it has MANY knobs) on my wish list.

Oh WHEN will it all END??????????:confused: :( :eek:

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    dude, you've got one of those 3ms pedals?!! which one and how does it sound on bass? it's not the triwave picogenerator is it? the sound clips of that pedal are amazing.

[​IMG]

steve

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    oh, i just reread your post. the 3ms pedal is on your WISH list. ha! sorry. it's on my wish list too!

steve

9. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Hee hee! I like that lots! It has many knobs! :p

10. The triwave picogenerator looks too cool...I don't care what it does either! I want it! Actually...one of these is defintely on my want list;
    Two! Two Mutron's in one... http://www.commonsound.com/cae/

[​IMG]

If you guys want to hear a P+C in action, albeit with not much sweep, mail me for an Mp3. Mine is set up for a fat+wide dub tone...you'll get the idea.

11. Darn you, I never knew about the many knobed pedals, and you know what? I was happy. Now I need like 8 jobs to get the pedal I now *need*:D

12. OMG! *drools*
    It's an oscillator! Just what I've been looking for, for a while, I must get that pedal now!

13. Avert thine eyes mortal....!

[​IMG]

Now...where to plug this in? Actually, BF is the multi-knob king. He has more knobs than almost any of us in his rig! (Said MS..delibrately trying to divert attention fom his own rig..)

14. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Do all you guys have the same problem with your girlfriends as I have with mine? They just don't understand that you NEED pedals with lots of knobs on. No matter how much you explain they just don't get it!:rolleyes:

15. Tweaking is a must for gearheads, even my guitarists (different projects) say my need for control is freaky. It just takes a little tweaking before you get to the good place, just sit you're girlfriend down and play to her while you let her tweak the knobs of your effects. It's mainly a test in trust. ;)

16. Oh good, the triwave silver beauty is only $330, perfect! Just in my price range! :rolleyes:

When you spend that much on an effect you know you're a gearhead...

17. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I like your style bf! kinky! :p

18. Adding a 3-band EQ (or a lone Tone control at the very least) would be nicer for the P&C...it misses out on the midrange grunt that other pedals can hit.

They sound freakin' horrible on guitar.

Put one after a wide-sweet peak waveform phaser with the Mix of the P&C turned up and the phaser will trigger the filter on the P&C. Nice.

As a straight distortion unit it's quite tube-like, I reckon...no hiss either, and a circuit board that looks comical (it's miniature in comparison to the box, with Paul's secret weapon cloaked in epoxy goo).

Buy one, keep New Zealand working! :D

19. Paul was great to work with...so helpful! I find that I have waaay too much high end on occasion...wish i could tame that. For my fingerstyle I don't have much of a mid-problem. I like to turn it up loud and play very lightly...great for dub!