What the hell is this !?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Weasel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
  2. Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Warwick thumb it is, that part I knew ;)

But how does this fret placement works? Do you know more about it?
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Equal temperament (ET), as used on guitars and basses, is a compromise. In ET, an octave is divided into 12 equal parts so you can play in all keys equally well (or badly). The trouble is some notes sound off.

A "correct" major third, for example is slightly flatter than an ET major third. This drives some people nuts, hence the just intonation system.

Looks like it would be horrible to play.
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    You see a slightly more palatable idea with the fretwave system...

This adjusts the thirds on some of the more commonly used open chords to make them sound slightly better.
  5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    That looks managable, the Warrick, wow.

Why not just go and master fretless if you want to be that accurate.
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah ya beat me!
  7. I had thought that was a micro-tonal fret job. The octave is divided into much smaller than 12 parts. And I have to agree if you want to play that much in between the scale a fretless would be easier, plus the slides. :)
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Well, those are two different things.
    I have the Steelblue album that has Hansford Rowe playing a Warwick like that, the guitarist uses Novanex interchangeable fretboards.
    The music is kind of post-wave pop-ish, the tuning sounds interesting, much less unusual than you would expect.
  9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    There's a few different approaches to JI that allow you to play in a number of different keys. Here's a headache inducing version...

10. You're exactly right, JMX. That arrangement was first made at the request of Hansford Rowe around the time he was playing with Gongzilla in early and mid-90's, if I'm not mistaken. I had seen a picture of him holding one in a magazine and then I eventually saw him play it with Gongzilla in 1994.
    Apparently he wanted to be able to get those "in-between" notes! :p
    But seriously, he must've wanted to be able to get microtonal with a fretted bass.
  11. Headache-inducing is right! Wow. I've never seen that. That's just silly!
  12. you are right, there are way more then 24 frets on that thing;) but again, get a fretless :smug:
  13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes, but they come from the same basic concept... that ET has shortcomings. The dissonant major third is the most obvious example of this, hence the fretwave system.
  14. Thanks for that link! I knew there was a proper name for it. 'Just' intonation, eh?
  15. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    One word....huh?????????
  16. SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    What a joke. Can't people just play bass and get on with it?
  17. That's exactly what I thought too when I saw that picture.

Er... I suppose we should all just play four strings too, right?

18. I want some fancy shmancy player to be shredding that thing up and then go to do a bend haha.