Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell is "WANKING"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 18, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I hear this a lot when people talk about guitar players. What does that mean? "I'm not a fan of wanking" :confused:

I don't get it.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You know how guitar players will noodle between songs, playing meaningless riffs, often at ridiuclous speeds?

Wanking is doing that while everyone else is playing music.

3. grab your bass, now move your hand up and down the neck, feel familiar? thats wanking :cool:

4. It's the art of "meedly meedly meedly"

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It is English slang that is generally considered offensive - and is literally : Masturbating !

Not recommended to be used in polite company!! ;)

That doesn't count for Australians of course ......:D

6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Okay, I get it now! And LOL @ the rest of the answers in this thread! :D

7. Bruce, if you were here in Australia there is no doubt i would call you a wanker, in good humour of course :p but yeah, I never thought of it that way, the word wanker here isn't offensive in the slight, then again 99% of profanity isn't offensive here :D

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Granted, I've not yet been to Australia but are you quite sure about that 99% figure? However, as Bruce says, it's definitely something to be careful about saying in the UK!

Wulf

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    common Australian slang term for masturbating..

uses: "you're a wanker mate", "he's such a wanker", "after seeing that I need to go have a wank"... etc etc.. ok maybe not the last one :)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Unless you're talking about football referees..... when it's obligatory!! ;)

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    While I was at GC the other day there was a kid in the bass room playing Master of Puppets........Slap Style. I think that certainly qualifies as wanking. Poor Cliff was probably spinning in his grave :)

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    To me wanking is not playing for the song or with the band. It's "look at me, aren't I exciting" activity instead of playing appropriately in the context of the music. A bit of grey area of course, but I think everyone knows when they see it or hear it.

13. You can thank Claypool for that one.

14. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, I agree.

My question is this, how do you not do it when trying out basses at the music store?

It seems as if anyone who slaps a tune or something is considered showing off, when in actuality, may just be interested in how the bass feels.

I can't help but slap on a Marcus Miller Fender and seeing how it feels when doing double thumbing and such. I never have it turned up loud, just enough to hear myself.

It's just that I've read many a thread where someone goes into a music store and sees someone playing some fast stuff (in some threads, no mention of volume, others very loud) and it seems that they are automatically labled as a show off.

Help me recognize one from the other.

Thanks,
    JB

15. Bruce Lindfield

I was serious - here's the entry from the UK Dictionary of slang :

wank

Verb. To masturbate. Also phrased as wank off. E.g."If our young men devoted as much time to their school work as they did to wanking then we'd have a nation of geniuses."
    Noun. 1. An act of masturbation. E.g."You can guarantee that if he sees a pair of naked breasts he'll go and have a wank straight away."
    2. Rubbish, useless, nonsense. E.g."I wish I hadn't brought that new CD, it's wank."
    Exclam. Exclamation of annoyance or expressing disbelief.

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/w.htm

16. I actually used to work with a guy named "Wayne King". His parents must have hated him.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would rather 'shag' than 'wank'...I think.

18. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Hence, you were not wanking.

19. froggsoldier

froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    GA
    Wanking- something women can't do

Drats! :crying: