What the hell just happened to me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Last night about 7:30 I was walking down the stairs when I suddenly felt like I was having one of those standing up too quickly head rushes. I sat down on the stairs and my vision, instead of going kind of dark just doubles quite severely. I got a loud buzzing in my right ear, it sounded like a big insect right next to it, and I suddenly got a pretty painful headache in my left temple/behind left eye. I crawled to the top of the stairs feeling pretty nauseous and realized my left arm and leg wouldn't do what I wanted them to do, they would move but it would just be a fairly close approximation of what my brain was telling them to do. I tried to explain to my family what was happening, but my mouth felt like it had too much saliva in it and I was slurring my words.

My sister helped me into bed, but after a few minutes I got up and came downstairs, i felt a little better, still had the headache and limbs still not quite working properly. It was about this time I had a thought, so I went upstairs and tried to play bass. I couldn't. My right hand worked fine but my left hand wouldn't do what I was telling it to. It just didn't have the fine motor skills. I felt like I'd gone back about 3 or 4 years in my playing. I couldn't grip the neck properly and my fingers wouldn't work in the right order.

This may sound like an over reaction but I absolutely crapped myself, I started crying, I honestly couldn't believe this could happen. I started a degree in bass a week ago at ACM in guildford, so you can understand why I'd be upset...

I tried typing as well, wanted to see what these symptoms meant, try to type them in on the net and again my left hand wouldn't do what it was supposed to do (even now I hit the wrong letters with my left hand way more than usual).

So anyway, my mum drives me to A&E, they do blood pressure, glucose and urine tests and found nothing out of the ordinary so I was allowed to go. I had a couple of ibuprofen for the headache before I left home but the headache stayed the whole time I was at the hospital.

I've tried playing bass this morning and there's definitely a bit improvement over last night, but it still feels like... it's hard to explain, it's like my fingers are weaker. Imagine you're left hand completely forgot how to play bass, it forgot the positions necessary and the dexterity was no longer there either, it's as if my left hand has only just started playing... Seems to be improving though.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. If anyone has any idea what it could be or if it's happened to them then let me know, because this is pretty scary stuff...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You had a stroke IMO. Get to a doctor ASAP.
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I went to the hospital, they said I was ok... I'm 20 years old, this shouldn't be happening to me yet should it?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Even babies can have strokes.
  5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    The thing is though, my speech and left leg seem fine now, my left hand can do everything I've asked of it except the finer stuff like playing bass and typing and even these things seem to be improving fairly quickly, just sitting here playing bass now it feels easier than earlier this morning. I think if things aren't back to normal by tomorrow I'll go to the doctor... :meh:

6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Is it getting better... does it feel like it will? I agree with JMX... go see your GP man... that's scary for a 20 year old...
  7. +1 for stroke. get to your doc asap - you might not get another chance!
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That sounds pretty bad, for a split second I though about an LSD flashback (you never know), but the whole limb thing got rid of that idea.

Go see another docter and tell them again what happened. That doesn't sound normal.
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1 get your a$$ to a hospital ASAP and have them do a scan of your head.
  10. Have it checked so that it is not a stroke

but it may only be a severe reaction to stress!!!
  11. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    >>So anyway, my mum drives me to A&E, they do blood pressure, glucose and urine tests and found nothing out of the ordinary so I was allowed to go. I had a couple of ibuprofen for the headache before I left home but the headache stayed the whole time I was at the hospital.<<<

Certainly have a checkup for a stroke, which (IMHO) should include EKG, CAT scan and maybe MRI scan (pretty expensive). You want to see that the blood is flowing properly in your brain, and that there is no tissue damage.

You can have a stroke at 20 ... in fact several years ago there were a rash of strokes in teenagers who had been using ephidrine cough medicine as uppers. Make sure you haven't been pushing yourself artificially ... you did mention that you had just started a new music program. These can tax your head more than you might think.
  12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Go to a Dr and get checked!

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  13. Time is brain... Take an aspirin and get yourself back to the A&E... This sounds for all the world like a stroke (lack of motor function, slurred speech etc.). It's encouraging that you're getting some function back (could just be Transient Ischemia) but it may be indicative of other circulation problems, blockages etc. Get yourself to the docs, pronto!

Best of luck!
  14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It's definitely not stress, I did the Higher Diploma course at acm last year. I've had three lectures so far this year, none of which I've found particularly taxing and haven't felt in the least bit stressed about anything lately... Would the doctor I saw last night have suggested those tests if they thought it was likely to have been a stroke, or is it normal procedure to send patients off even if they think it could be? My hand is the only thing still affected, although this seems to be improving, in normal (non bass) use my hand is absolutely fine and bass wise there definitely an improvement over this morning, although my left hand dexterity isn't what it was yesterday... This seems remarkably specific to be a stroke, wouldn't that affect me in any other way?
  15. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Shouldn't and couldn't are two entirely different things. Go to your doctor NOW.
  16. I would have expected a stroke to have longer lasting effects - the improvement wouldn't be so rapid, but Transient Ischemic attacks (if that's what it is) are still indicative of some vascular problems. It's really hard to say what may have caused it - any family history of stroke, heart attack, heart disease, DVT etc.?

I think it's still worth getting checked out even if you *are* improving. If nothing else it's probably a good idea to see your GP ASAP and let them know what's been going on. Your age works in your favour, but it's possible A&E missed something.
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Okay, go through the classic warning signs of stroke...

1. Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
    2. Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
    3. Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
    4. Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
    5. Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

and ask yourself if you should go to your GP, with a print out of what happened (I don't know about you, but I always manage to walk away from the doctors thinking "oh, I meant to ask about...").

Tell the doctor you're worried you may have had a stroke.
  18. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    GO NOW!!!!!!!!!
  19. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, reading through the info on TIA, seems worryingly similar to what happened. Talked to my parents about it again, they say they'll take me to hospital tomorrow if I need them to.
  20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'd go today if I were you. Screw the rest, this is your health (and possibly your musical future) that is at stake!