Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what the hell kind of bass was it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Dec 21, 2002.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I was recently in a used guitar store and played an awesome bass. It was a fender p-bass, but it had no pickguard, p/j arrangment active , three knobs, a three way switch. It was a nice turquoise color with a black head stock. The neck seemed to be made of a dark wood. What's the actual name of this bass?

I ask because I was hoping to try and find one online in case this one get's sold before I get the money. But I'm convinced that it's no longer made.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Why not just call the store or owner and ask?

3. Sounds like it could have been a fender zone bass.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Sounds like maybe one of those mid 80's Fender MIJ Jazz Power Special's. You can periodically check www.basspalace.com for them. They usually have some. Like beforementioned, it could very well be a Fender Zone bass which is basically a newer version of the old MIJ P-Lyte. I haven't seen the zone's with same color headstocks but I am sure they are out there.
    Again my bet would be the MIJ Fender Jazz Power Special.
    JMHO

5. Same here. Definitely made in Japan Fender.

6. I read that the Fender Jazz Power special had graphite reinforcement in the neck (the "tri-lam" system with a graphite layer under the fingerboard as on the Fender Japan-produced DR Heartfield basses).
    anyone played one?
    any deadspots on the neck? (ie. did the reinforcement work).

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I agree. Those are awesome sounding and playing basses. They just don't look so good, IMO. You can get great deals on them, though.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Did it look something like THIS?

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have dealt with the dealer of the bass in the link above and can pass along my highest recommendations... Excellent communications, very reputable... Plus, that's not an altogether bad looking bass!

-robert