Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell makes the Marquis de Sade appealing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BrettAM, Feb 3, 2003.

1. I just finished reading "Part the Second" of The 120 Days of Sodom. Probably the most disturbing, sadistic, revolting novel I've ever read-and I can't stop reading it! Has anyone else out there read any of his works (Other than this I've read Dialogue of a Priest and a Dying Man and Philosophy in the Bedroom)? I don't know why I'm so interested in this-I'm definetly not a sadist. It's amazing how this cat's mind worked. So what does everyone else think of this stuff?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that poo-poo is not intended to be used as an aid to intimacy by anyone.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well I nominate that as best TB post. Ever.:D

4. :shudders:

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Dude...I just watched "Another Teen Movie." This quote affects me on a different level now. :eek:

:D

6. I have read Justine, Dialogue d'um pretre et une morbon in both french and in english and a few other short stories and plays. He IS my favourite writter.
    I suggest watching Quills, or Sade and reading Leopled Von Sacher-Masoch

7. oh yeah, Quills is a great movie, that's what made me first look into the Marquis's writing, I think I'll read Justine next

8. Sure it is!

:D :D :D

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Peter, I don't even want to know what that link leads to! The address that shows up when I hold the mouse over it looks pretty freakin scary!
    JT---I agree with DanGouge on that one! Awesomest post ever! :D

10. Sicko. I can't stand that site. Pure wacko.

11. Is he related in any way to the Marquis de Miller?

12. He was a fairly, uh, interesting guy, wasn't he?

I'm pretty much fine with whatever consenting people want to do with each other. I can even see why they would want to, in most cases.

The Marquis himself... he went a little too far, I think.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Take it as a sort of 'extreme sport' of literature.

The darker side of human mind has always been fasicnating to people, and books allow them to indulge themselves in it without physical harm - rather similar to the way bungee jumping gives you a rush but you are safe all the time, I think.

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What are some good pieces of work to check out?

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've read 120 days, Justine and Philosophy in the Bedroom etc etc

I think those complaining just have not read any of his books and would be very surprised if they actually started reading one.

He was actually a very interesting moral philosopher - but the thing is that if you actually start to read a book of his, you will find his style pretty dry and very detailed.

I would almost guarantee that your typical teenager would die of boredom before getting through 2 or 3 pages and would certainly not get through the introduction to 120 days!! ;)

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thank you, thank you, i'll be here until thursday :D

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I red La Philisophie du Boudoir which interested me ...
    I'll say he is a good writter, which had an unique style, what he wrote is also disturbing but true at these time were a lot of thing were hidden...

18. there's a reason the word is "sadistic" you know.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Never read any.... But, based on the responses and comments in this thread I believe I will be soon...

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    In reference to your original question:

I haven't as yet read any of his work. However, from reading the posts here on this thread and from the small amount of research that I've been able to do so far, it seems that his entire existance was spent in a moral/ethical rebellion against the (oppressive) theocratic society in which he lived...

Could it simply be not his licentiousness, but his opposition to the system ( ie Rage Against the Machine) that is the source of his "appeal" as you put it? Much in the same way modern day partisans and zealots achieve martyrdom for their "struggles"?

Just a thought.