1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the hell?!!! Reusing syringes?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  2. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    People are pretty stupid nowadays.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They need to be punished, severely. :mad:

4. That is just obscene. These people should be stripped of their rights to practice, and incarcerated, held liable on every count, and punished accordingly.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Thats outrageous. If i got hepatitis or HIV, i would need a lot more than 10g's to make up for it. That wouldnt even come close to covering a year of medical expenses.

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    With 40,000 people potentially exposed it's quite a scare here. I can imagine everyone here will know someone who's been notified. These dumb***es need to do "hard time."
    If we're talking about disposable syringes...those things are like cents apiece in bulk.

7. Yes, I'm assuming you can get several per dollar if you buy in bulk. Why would a clinic feel the need to re-use them? Craziness.

We had a pharmacist in our city a few years ago who confessed to dilluting hundreds of prescriptions to save money, including cancer drugs. People died because of it. Terrible stuff.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/19/national/main506777.shtml

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    10K per plaintiff seems awfully low and lenient - unless that's just for having visited the hospital and going through the mental gyrations that "knowing you've been exposed" would entail. Actual infection with a deadly disease - should be a much higher compensation, IMO.
    And that shouldn't even *touch* the punitive aspects of the suit.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Stupid should hurt.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's wrong with that?

Sincerely,
    Prison Tattoo Gadgets

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Pathetic.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    If you read the article, you would notice a very large misstatement about HIV "lying dormant" for many years. It can be detected soon after infection by testing for the virus itself (as they do on blood donations) or within 3 months if testing for antibodies to HIV (takes time for the infected individual's body to produce antibodies in sufficient quantity to be detected using standard screening tests). This time period is called the window period & is not a period of latentcy. It takes someone infected with HIV a considerable time to end up with a destroyed immune system (9 - 11 years without treatment), but they are infectious and will test positive soon after infection.

What were these idiots thinking? We've had some transplanted organs not properly screened in the US as well. Everyone trying to make just a little more money. I say hang them by their private parts in a public place, cover them with honey and put a colony of fire ants on them.

Sorry for not having a strong opinion on this subject.

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I thought this thread read "Reusing Strings," I was thinkin' Hey that's not bad!

I was suprised, horribly, horribly suprised.:scowl:

10k wouldn't even begin to make ammends, its an insult really.

14. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'm not an expert, but a person I know was sexually assaulted by an unknown assailant. This person had to be tested for HIV every 6 months for 18 months before the doctor would say that the person did not have HIV. The reason given was that you may not test positive immediately.

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    And just another reason not to go to a doctor. What a rip, Good job ruining peoples' lives to make a buck.

16. Does it suprise me? No.

This is the world we live in.

Reminds me of that kid in America who died a while ago since he couldn't get treatment for the abcess in one of his teeth (couldn't afford it). Sums it up pretty well with "Welcome to America".

Right now in the UK we have a National Health Service, but I can see us going the same way as Ameirca sooner or later -_-

17. Wait until they try socialized healthcare here, I'll be happy to just get a dirty needle :rollno:

18. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I just told my brother about this story. He's in the research labs downtown. He said, "That's a lifetime of testing for every person who went to that clinic. That's instant revocation of all licenses, and shutting down that whole clinic."

19. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou

First...I am an HIV expert. Multiple tests in that situation are done for a positive psychological effect. We commonly do that with rape victims. Usually takes 3 negative tests before the person assaulted "believes" they are negative. The actual recommendation after a rape is an immediate test (base line to see if the person is already infected) and then every 3 months for a year. I would continue testing after that if the negative tests have not had the desired psychological effect.

If a physician actually told a rape victim what you report, it would tend to further traumatize the victim. Most physicians are not HIV experts. I teach physicians, nurses, social workers, case managers etc about HIV as part of my duties as the Director of Programs at an AIDS Service Organization. Been there more than 17 years, have both a MSPH & PhD in public Health with a major in HIV/AIDS Epidemiology (Also trained as an RN & LPN) and health care provider's ignorance on this subject would make you vomit.