Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell tecnique is les using during the verse of laquer head?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lowend4s, May 22, 2002.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    and how do i do it?

2. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    r u talkin about that dry pop sound like in Puddin Time?

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Are you talking about the part that could be described as sounding like "dunka dua"? If so I believe its double thumbing. If you do a search youll find a bunch of threads explaining that

4. I'm just listening to a live version of it but i think its
    t , lh, p, t,t,t,t

And on the cheesy page the tab is
    chorus
    d d S P S P S P
    |--5----8-|------2---------2---------2---|-
    |--5----8-|------3-----------------------|-
    |--3----6-|------------------------------|-
    |---------|-0h3----h3-x-h3---h3-x-h3-----|-
    d = downstroke

5. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    when i first started playing bass, this was the challenging song that i always longed to learn..... it took me about a year before i found out how he really plays it.... i found this out because Kazaa came out (video downloads!) i downloaded him playing it live....... what he does is the is muting the strings......

First, the left-hand (fingering hand) explanation: he keeps his pointer on the strings to mute them... the rest of his fingers (middle-pinky) hit the strings lightly to mute them...

Right hand- he is slapping and popping (actually pretty slowly).... he slaps his E or A string, mutes with his left hand by hitting the strings, then pops the G string, and mutes with his left hand again.

This sounds very confusing but find the video or download the live version and watch his hands.....

Hope you get it!
    Good luck,
    -Evan

6. lord_of_ewoks

lord_of_ewoks

Jun 5, 2002
    i have les playing at family values 99 and ive watched and tried different techniques and ive found what he does live.... not the same as the record though....

g--x---x------------
    d-------------------
    a----x----2h3-------
    e-x------------2h3--

mute at 3 fret for the a and e string and at the 2 fret for g string