Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the hell?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raised_fist, Jan 28, 2004.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Okay so I got my Spector back today, I just had the EMG-HZ ripped out and the EMG DCs put in.
    First thing I noticed when I plugged it in, was loss in volume. It wasn't as loud as the Hz.
    Second problem, the EQ is crap and has very little range it seems.
    With the Hz, there was an Aguilar pre-amp in there, which sounded pretty cool.
    Third, there is a big volume differnce between the two pickups when turning them up.
    Fourth, I opened it up to look at it, did just that, then closed it. Now nothing works. It wont work at all.
    When I opened it I noticed there was no visible EQ like there was with the Aguilar. I was told that the EMG's come with an active EQ, so is it built in or did they just not install it? I guess that would explain the sucking EQ...
    Can some one please explain as I am quite angry about this right now:(

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh my. I'd be a bit upset too. If both pups are DC's there shouldn't be a difference in volume. Opening and closing the electronics cover certainly shouldn't hurt anything. If you had these professionally installed, go back and tell them to fix it.

Also, EMG (active) pickups have a built-in preamp, but not built-in EQ. They are commonly wired v-v-t like a Jazz Bass, with 25k passive pots. I think they would work OK with the Aguilar pre, but I'm not sure about that. If you're supposed to have active EQ with this install, ask the installer where it is.

Again, if you paid someone to do the install, they need to make it good. Don't tell them you opened the cavity, just tell them the sucker doesn't work and it needs to.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like there may be a loose solder joint or two. IF you had someone do it, take it back and make them do it right. Free. Quickly.

How many volts was the Aguilar preamp?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    To restate what has been said:
    EMGs have an internal preamp wired into the pickups, but you only have volume and passive tone controls that come with them. For BASS and TREBBLE you need another preamp.

They should have left the Aguilar in there.

I use an Aguilar OPB1 preamp with my EMGs and it sounds killer.

Peace
    Nick