Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the **** is a 7"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by muzfuz, Apr 28, 2001.

1. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    Ok this is sort of related to music and bass and such since I will probably learn the songs on this.... 7"... on to my question.

NOFX has a new 7" out called "Surfer"

what is a 7"? no idea

thanks

2. It's a single on vinyl. 45rpm records are 7" across.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that´s also the lenght of my.... :eek:

nevermind :D:D

4. HAA I SOOOOOO HAVE YOU BEAT

and im feeling delerious and sick...must go lie down.

5. yeah in the 6o's and 70's they were called 45's but for some reason they are now called 7 inches
    oh and by the way,
    Nofx's surfer 7 inch is awesome! if you have a record player you should buy it

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    45s, Record player? :: medevil voice on:: what this strange magic/device you speak of? ::voice off:: :D :eek: ;)

7. Most seven inches play at 33 1/3 RPM and do not have the large center hole. They have long been a staple of punk/indie/hardcore music. Generally, they are much less expensive to make than CD singles, and much cooler.

Most bands will record a two, three, or four song 7" after being together a few months, and seel them at the merch table during shows. They may also send some to Lumberjack or Saul Goodman for nationwide sales. These type of bands tend to release things more often than other types of bands, so the 7" is oftem a way of getting something out inbetween records.

Just go to your local independent record store (usually located around the local college) and ask for the 7" bin.

8. of your what? your hair? what? tell me!:D:p

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    WOW
    I knew I held on to my 78's for a good reason!!!

They still make records?

10. man, there are 3 record stores on campus and none of them carry vinyl.