1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the @)#(&* is going on here....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockthesnakepit, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Rockthesnakepit

Rockthesnakepit

Dec 11, 2006
    ok, so ive got a vintage 1987 fender jazz bass special with seymour duncan pickups added in about a year/year and a half ago. well lately whenever i plug in my bass to either my practice amp or gigging amp, it will massivly start this loud humming noise in my speakers with no reason. it doesnt always do this, it only seems to happen when i move the cable connecting bass to amp around. i'm hoping its just the cable but wanted a second (and 3rd or more) opnion on the matter before i drop money on another one if it IS something with my bass b/c as a poor college kid i really dont have the money to get bass repaired.... i mean i will, eating 3 meals is overrated, but saving that extra $$$ i would have spent on a cable could mean breakfast a week earlier:D
    thanks in advance

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'd see if your friends have an extra cable you could try using to rule that out. (and save money).

It might be a ground issue in the bass also, but if you know how to solder, most things shouldn't be a problem.

3. +1. If it only happens when you move the cable, chances are that's the problem.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Cables are usually the weakest link in the chain.

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    If the noise happens when you move your cable, it's either a bad ground in the cable, or a bad ground in the jack. Check against a known good cable, if the problem stops, it was the cable. If it doesn't, it's the jack.