What The Longest Amount Of Time You've Played Continusly?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I was wondering whats the longest amount of time you've played bass for continusly?

For example: For my longest, I started playing from 7:30 PM to 11:00 last night.

3 and a half hours.

What's your longest?
  2. Not sure what my longest period would be but EVERY show my band plays we do about 2hours 20 minutes straight through including encore.
  3. Not sure. My guess would be 3.5-4 hours straight with no breaks at all on BG, but that wssn't a very hard driving gig, coffee house type stuff, simple easy.

I was in an orchestra that did Mahler 5, over 1.5hr straight, lots of bass, low bass, especially low F# (if I remember correct) on the E string was killer after an hour of playing. Having to hold an F# trem for many measures....tiresome.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive had a band practice once where we played a good 6-7 hours.
  5. I went about 6 hours once, just practicing and jamming by myself. I stopped only for bathroom breaks and food.

6. build up some nice calluses? Woah!:eek:
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My fingers are weird, i used to get big ugly callouses but now they are just really tough. My skin is thick and i dont get blisters ever, i just get white scrapes on them when i play a lot, as if my finger is grating away on the string. I dont have much feeling in my fingertips due to the thick skin.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    about the same here... that was years ago though. We'd hook up between 1 and 2 in the afternoon and go till the cops shut us down @ about 9pm.

These days I peak at about 4 hours in one sitting (Usually when I'm writing / recording)
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    The two guys in my band came to Europe in the early 90's touring with a band out of NYC. Their claim to fame over here was doing one set a night, starting at 9:30pm until 02:30am. Nonstop. They played 7 nights a week. The longest stretch they did non stop was 81 consecutive nights.

I wish I knew them back then. Imagine what their chops were like. Even today, these lads are exceptional players.
  10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The band and I have regular sessions of 12 afternoon. Till like 11 at night. We order pizza and have a grand old time. My drummer only has old people on his street. So either they are afraid of us or they have bad hearing:D