what the mean of 4/4 , 3/4?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Coleman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i hope buy my first double bass (for jazz music)
    what the meaning of size 4/4, 3/4?
    have other size?
  2. For most people a full size (4/4) bass in a little (or a lot) too big. 3/4 basses are the most common size of bass. They vary in size from one another as well.

There are also 7/8 size basses.

I play a 3/4 bass even though I am tall and it suits me just fine. Unless you are freakishly tall, I would recommend you start looking at 3/4 basses first and work up from there so you only have to worry about the qualities in a bass you are looking for.
  3. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    tks for help first,

i am a short man (5'5"), what double bass suit me u think?

7/8 is bigger than 3/4, right?
  4. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    I think a lot of it also is dependent on arm length. Granted, most of the time, the taller you are, the longer your arms. You might also want to consider checking out a 5/8 bass. That's between a 3/4 and a 1/2 size bass. There are also small and oversized 3/4 basses. I'd just try a few of each and see what is most comfortable for you.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was in a shop trying DBs yesterday and the assistants couldn't tell the difference between the 3/4 and full-size versions of the same bass!! ;)

They had to look in the catalogue and check numbers, so OK - they didn't look that different, but they hadn't helped themselves by extending the endpin on the 3/4 further than on the 4/4 so they matched height!!

When we got them out and played them it was possible to tell, but looking from a few feet away they looked pretty similar!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Generally the most common size that you will find is the 3/4 size. The most important thing really is how easy/hard is it to play the bass. I have a 7/8ths size instrument, and it is incredibly easy to play. I don't have any difficulty playing into thumb position. I believe Monte has a full size(4/4). I think you get a little deeper sound when you get to a little larger bass. If the string length is over 42" though forget it. It usually becomes really difficult to play.

More important though is getting a teacher to assist you in buying your first bass. They can really help you find something that will fit you and help you learn.
  7. If you're concerned with resale value, stay with 3/4. It has the broadest market. Then 7/8. Forget the rest unless it's a bass you'll keep forever.