1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the ROLE of bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dexterzol, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dexterzol

Dexterzol

Apr 11, 2019
    Sweden
    (In your opinions)

So, the role of the bass guitar is something that seems to be a debated topic. Obviously there isn't ONE SET ROLE for an instrument with as much range and versatility as the bass, but I'd like to hear TB's opinion on the role of their instrument.

I'm most interested on what TB thinks of the role of bass as a whole, but I also want to hear what their PERSONAL role is! :) I'll go first in the comments, just to kick things up :D

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. Dexterzol

Dexterzol

Apr 11, 2019
    Sweden
    To me bass is an incredibly complex instrument. I don't see it as a big thick guitar, and DEFINITELY NOT as just a supporting role. I love solos + chords and complex stuff when DONE RIGHT.

Despite my reservations to admit, there are definitely "guitar player bassists", who fret, chord, pick and the way a guitar player does. The bass can be just as complex and "shreddy" as a guitar, with equally good results, provided the player thinks like a BASSIST.

I think that's a convenience with an Upright too, since you automatically go in "bass mode" when soloing/generally playing on one.

Also, NO FREAKING WAY is it a support instrument for me o_O You do you, but I love being the featured player hahaha

3. Not again.

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Darth Vader

groooooove, eJake and Evil Funk like this.
  5. Dexterzol

Dexterzol

Apr 11, 2019
    Sweden
    ? I wanna talk about the role of bass. With no fighting or dumb stuff

sqlb3rn likes this.
  6. Dexterzol

Dexterzol

Apr 11, 2019
    Sweden
    Hmmm, good point

BillMason and MattZilla like this.
  7. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It's good to have dreams.

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Did you know that banana flavor in candy is modeled after an extinct banana? We can't taste that banana for reals because all the old people ate them all.

ak56, btmpancake, Mr_Moo and 27 others like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Yeah, this would be what, the third or fourth time? You have several threads about this. In the "simple bassist" and "busy bassist" threads, a lot of people told you their opinions of the role of the bass already. So I think we can move on. Me, personally. Others may disagree. Have at it, if you do.

groooooove, equill, ThePez and 2 others like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :roflmao: Hilariously stated but inaccurate.

Gros Michel banana - Wikipedia

FYI, the current banana we typically see in stores is also being ravaged by the the same disease.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If you don't like the answer, keep asking the question in a new form?

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I know, but it's fun to think about Great Gatsby people having poolside banana parties and Greatest Generationers filling their black and white Frigidaires up with one bottle of white milk, one stick of slightly grey butter, and forty pounds of very grey, very delicious bananas.

knumbskull, teh-slb and Wasnex like this.
  13. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    For me the role of the bass is to be the exact opposite of what the big majority of TB'ers wants it to be.
    So I guess either a guitar either a drum.

On a serious note I want my bass to be groovy but also melodic. Hard to be both in the same time but that's my idea.

Mr_Moo and matante like this.
  14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :roflmao:

Imagine a vault full of Big Mike banana's
    upload_2019-9-14_17-54-13.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Or if you can't live without the constant attention.

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Agree. Don't worry about what other people do and we won't worry about what you do.

LBS-bass likes this.
  17. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Wait, I thought we were all about the carrots here.
    banana.

MattZilla and Wasnex like this.
  18. The role of the bass? When I play with my band, I just role with it.

Hachimitsu Pie and Nashrakh like this.
  19. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    OK, serious answer here. The role of the bass is whatever your band or music needs it to be. Is it musical in the genre? Is it groundbreaking in a way that steps outside the lines? Whatever that music needs from a bass, that's your role.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Ahhhh, very good. That's a nice Confucius style answer. I.E. the roll is what the music needs, and not what the player wants it to be.

Here's a parallel saying attributed to Confucius: "As the water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it, so a wise person adapts oneself to circumstances"