Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the???? When I take my hands away from the strings I get a buzz / hum sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What the???? When I take my hands away from the strings I get a buzz / hum sound. Sounds like its not grounded properly or something. I dont think its the amp as the problem seems to happen with all 3 amps that i've tried. Is the bass not grounded properly or something?

BTW i play a geddy lee jazz bass.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    This is an extremely common problem and may be difficult to eliminate. I like to eliminate the problem at the source. So, first and foremost, I properly shield and ground all of my instruments. This usually cleans up the problem for me.

Next thing is the environment. Flourecent lights, computer monitors, motor driven appliances, and many other things can generate noise on the power line. Changing outlets can sometimes eliminate the noise. Proper rack grounding including running everything into a power strip with a single 3-prong outlet.

There are many other things you can do, but these are good first steps.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am 95% sure its the bass itself. its a standard/stock jazz bass set-up. what can i do to the bass to fix this problem?

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    take a look inside the cavity and inspect..look for broken ground wire, cold solder joints or anything that doesn't look right. Does your bass have a ground wire that goes from the bridge to the control cavity? if so, check that wire first.
    take a good look at your output jack..make sure the solder joints are solid.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 to what's already been said. Appliances, house wiring and grounding faults within your bass are always a factor in buzz.

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I have the same issue with my Geddy - there's a definite hum from the stock single-coil pickups if they're not dimed, and gets worse the closer I get to my amp.

The control cavity (in mine, anyway) only has a metal copper plate screwed in at the bottom of the cavity. Some shielding and checking the connections should help.

Shouldn't be a problem for me after today as the JRetro and Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups are going in this afternoon...... :hyper: :hyper:

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    His bass is already "properly grounded" according to Fender specs if the noise goes away when he touches the strings. He doesn't have a faulty connection.

To make it quiet regardless of whether or not he's touching the strings, he needs to shield his bass. Try here first.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey thanks! That shielding website is great. Now if i just had some aluminum foil....