What the......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, May 31, 2001.

1. Tony Levin is a very well known and talented bassist....

particularly for his use of chapman´s sticks, and what I think is pretty much the opposite of that, the 3 string bass (although I heard that got burnt down along with many of his basses, or maybe I´m thinking about someone else?). he also invented the "Funk Fingers".

anyway, he´s a great player! :)

check out www.papabear.com
  2. I got turned onto Tony back when he played for Alice Cooper, he played some incredible lines on Goes to Hell and Welcome to my Nightmare.
    Forgot about him until he played with Peter Gabriel.
    Then was blown away when I saw him with King Crimson. If your new to him The_Bass. It sounds like you are new to Tony so it is almost hard to suggest a starting point to get into him by, he is a very smooth perfect player. Yoyu should fill out your profile more so I know what players you listen to, a good start I guess might be King Crimson "Beat" or Alice Cooper "Welcome to my Nightmare" both are great disks and Tony makes them better.
  3. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    THIS IS THE GUY WHO PLAYED ON WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE?! I need to look into this guy, that album had some great bass!
  4. Yea Tony and another great bass player named Prakash John. I am pretty sure that Tony played on the disk and Prakash John did the tour. PJ is more of a classic rock player probally a little more fitting to do a tour with AC's old stuff and the fact that Tony seemed to spend a lot of time in the studio.
    Goes to Hell has Tony on it as well, the disk isn't as good as WTMN but there is a song called "I am the Coolest" that has some great smooth bass.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you use the "Search" facility, you will find that his name has come up many times in discussion around here before.