Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the .... ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 20, 2001.

1. What the .... ???

[​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like some kind of Mobius(sp?) Megatar to me.;)

3. That thing gives me a headache.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    can JT play that? :D

But it looks like those 4x4 basses.. its 2 guitars both joint together.. one just has a lower tone/lower strings etc..

DM

5. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    That's ranks in the top ten ugliest basses in my list.

6. AlexK

AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    That's a Mobius Megatar. Bass Player had a little paragraph about a while back. It combines a 6-string bass with a 6-string guitar. But the one in the magazine doesn't have a funky bridge like that.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you ask me...
    I would love to have one of those.

8. That is just horrible. Like the idea though.

9. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Look at it! That said I can see why people might like it, for me - erm... No.

10. It kind of looks like a Chapman Stick. Tony Levin and John Myung play those, that I know of. I suppose those things weren't made for slapping, eh?

11. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    It looks like a combination Guitar/ Bass in the vein of a ChapMan stick, although I can't see why anyone would choose that over a combination Guitar/ Bass doubleneck...

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hm, while it's not pretty, I'd love to see a really good player perform on that. I can see it has potential. I just don't know if I'd be willing to invest the time it would take to get good on a novelty instrument like that.

Ironic, coming from a guy who plays a half-century-old instrument...

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    What do you play, Big Wheel?

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Electric bass.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Still, it looks like toy basses are here to stay.

16. what's so good about the fanned frets?

17. J_PARMER

J_PARMER

May 17, 2000
    I'D LIKE TO SEE THE FINGERS OF THE GUY THATS PLAYING THAT. U GOTTA HAVE LIKE 6" LONG FINGERS FOR THAT S@#*!!!!

18. I think the primary advantage is that you can optimize the scale length and string gauge for a given pitch.

There may be other advantages too.

- Dave

19. traktor

traktor

Jul 22, 2001
    Weed, California
    U.S. Manager for Mobius Megatar Touch-Style Basses
    Gentlemen, thank you for your lively comments on the Mobius Megatar Touch-Style Bass. Here are answers to some of the questions you pose --
    (1) Ugly? Well, yes and no. The neck is very beautiful but the body looks very odd. That's because it is designed to be played in an upright position, and when playing seated the body falls beneath your legs -- therefore it must be slim. To get good tone, a body must be rigid in the 'long' direction -- therefore the body is 'long'. To play with two-handed tapping and permit both hands to get at the entire fretboard from both sides, you need to get the 'horns' out of the way -- therefore it has no horns. When you do all this, you come up with a body which looks very much like the one shown -- odd-looking? Yes. Nicely balanced, good feeling to the hands, and good tone? Also yes.
    You can see photos of the instrument in correct upright playing position, which should clarify the slim design, at http://www.megatar.com
    (2) Fanned Frets -- This is a system patented by California luthier Ralph Novak, who also makes the fanned-fret guitar played by Charlie Hunter. As bass players know, the lowest strings sound richest when they are long (like 33-36 inches). But guitar-length strings sound best when they're shorter (like 24-36 inches). How can you get both on one instrument? Fan the frets as shown. Although it looks odd to your eyes, to your hands it feels about the same, and to your ears it will sound rich and clear.
    You can hear soundclips on our website. If you compare the soundclip for our MaxTapper model (normal parallel frets) with the soundclip for the ToneWeaver model (fanned frets), you can hear the difference in tone. It's quite remarkable.
    MaxTapper (parallel frets) soundclip --
    http://www.megatar.com/english/Models/MaxTapper/MT_Soundclips/mt_soundclips.html
    ToneWeaver (fanned frets) soundclip --
    http://www.megatar.com/english/Models/ToneWeaver/TW_Soundclips/tw_soundclips.html
    (3) Hard to play? Not really. The six strings on the left are a normal 6-string bass, tuned exactly the same as any 6-string bass, so you can just pick it up and play it. The difference is that you just finger it to play. No picking required. And then, since you have your right hand free, you can tap the same patterns on the other set of strings. This leads to playing bass lines with simultaneous rhythmic chords, and other techniques, surprisingly quickly. A free method book explaining how to do this (either on our instrument or any 6-8 string bass) is available at -
    http://www.megatar.com/documents
    Two-handed tapping is quite fun. And it's here to stay. Whether or not you choose to use a specialty instrument such as ours, you might want to investigate this new approach. It pays big dividends and opens up new possibilities in your music.