1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHAT THE??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Anon2962, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
  2. I saw a similar instrument in 1993 in a music store in Helsinki, of all places. I believe it was made by Takamine. It's been a while, but I think the music store was downtown near the big bus terminal lot.

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Must have been Fazer music. Bizarre looking instrument. Makes you wonder why!?

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Reminds me of an interesting (and nicely done) homemade bass guitar at Elderly Music some years ago that was made from an old inexpensive archtop guitar, and a cello neck.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Looks pretty cool. I wonder about what bow you would use with this. Cello bow, maybe?

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Historically speaking, there's a bit of history of guitar shaped basses, or so I thought. Where's Smitty when you need him? Here's a recently made (and award-winning *cough* shameless plug for my pal *cough) partially guitar shaped bass:

033_Arnold&ErgoII.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Stading next to it on that stand he kinda looks like a hood ornament :)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I contacted Toby a couple of years ago regarding this instrument. He is a very nice gentleman. He seemed mildly surprised and pleased that a double bassist showed interest in it, and asked if I would have considered it as a travel instrument (had I not already owned an Azola). I said, "Sure". I see it as a viable acoustic bass guitar, not a double bass, mostly because of the string length.

9. The pear shape is as old as the Double Bass. I've seen some made in the 18th Century, and they supposedly make for really great solo instruments.

This thing is a little small, but I suppose a kid might find something this size useful.

10. EE-SAN & CONOR:
    both a bit wrong. The Takamine acoustic bass guitar was sold in Westerlund music, gone a few years ago. It was different from this instrument on the link. It was an archtop and had ff-holes, but it had a shallower body, resembling an old Gibson ES-335 guitar. It had also similar cuttings, and a blade section for tuning machines, not a scroll and peg box like this one. What it DID have was an arched fingerboard like a real DB, but the bridge was very low so it couldn´t have been bowed. It had a piezo mic system, assembled directly in the bridge, very much the same as Takamine electro-acoustic nylon stringed guitars. They had 2 models, fretted and fretless. There was a unique feature, a removable endpin, which allowed you to play the thing in an upright position if you wished, but it was not long enough to allow playing in a standing position.
    The reason I remember all this so well is that ( for a reason yet unknown ) I was gassing for it for a while. The tag was about $ 3000 by then...!
    These days I´m happy I didn´t by it.
    There might be a pic of it in Takamine´s web site, if it´s still in produce.

R2

edit: typos, as usual

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree - so with conventional DB you have many years of tradition and teachers to help you - but how would you go about approaching proper technique and intonation on something like this....:confused: ?

12. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    That Takemine looks more interesting to me than the other thing. I wonder why they didn't make the spike long enough??I'd like to hear what it sounds like tho. I'd imagine more 'fretless acoustic bass guitary' than upright..did you play it Arto? And by the way, I can't make it to your gig tomorrow night unfortunately, got to go to Lahti for rehearsals and a gig. Gonna be there for my first 'Vappu'(sp?), which should be interesting! :D

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ya just do it. Shouldn't be too tough if you understand the 'why' of technique.

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm curious to know how loud it is acoustically.
    Trying to play it as a substitution for a real upright: No Way.
    Trying to play it in your lap and compete with some acoustic guitars: Now that would be intriguing

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But where are you going to find a teacher who can coach you on one of those!!?? ;)

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Bring it over and I'll show you how not to play it. After that, all that is left is the right stuff.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Exactly what I was thinking. I haven't run across an acoustic bass guitar yet that had anything that I liked going on. This might be a bass guitar that could hold my interest for awhile.

A friend of mine just built something that might be the ultimate portable travel bass instrument. He used the Ashbory setup, with the silicone gummy bear strings, and dropped it into a baritone uke-sized instrument. He designed it to be stress-free on the top, so it apparently responds really well, and has a surprising amount of acoustic volume. He claims that it sounds very DB-ish. I'll find out soon enough; I'm going to record a CD on it sometime this summer.

18. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Is that a cello????:p

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jeez! Never thought of that...just the idea of that question popping up at every gig is enough to make me steer clear of that bass!