Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What theory practice to do without bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Timbo, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hey guys,
    I've noticed that I have a lot of free time away from my bass and I'm trying to utilize it as best I can. I've been writing out all 12 scales, triads, etc. But I'm looking for more exercises and such things that I can do away from my bass. I'll also do things like just sit there and be say to myself "G mixolydian.. Go." and thats also starting to get pretty easy. Any other exercises you guys might be able to share with a young chap?

2. "Modern Electric Bass" should keep you busy....

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Learn all the chords within a keys. If you are doing the kind of drill you talk about above, then do things like, What are the chords for I-vi-IV-V7-I in all the keys around the circle. (name the chord and spell it).

I'm going to check out that DVD in the previous post, I've never heard of it.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    there are just as much benefits, in mentally visualling yourself playing a scale or melody, as there is in actually playing a scale or melody for real.

A bit of sports psychology adapted for music. :)

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Sing bebop solos to yourself.

Not joking.