What they say vs what to pay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wcre, Feb 17, 2005.

1. wcre

Feb 10, 2005
    Nova Scotia
    I've noticed my two local music stores both have a tendency to outright lie about the market price, offer "their price" and then perhaps a "sale" price.

For example currently at local store 1:
    "Schecter Stiletto Custom 4
    Suggested Retail: $1049 CAD
    Our price: $850 CAD
    Sale Price: $750 CAD"

Now the actual suggested retail of this bass is $699 USD, which amounts to $860 CAD. This kind of trend exist for every other bass I've checked for both stores.

That's all fine and dandy, false advertising claims aside I can understand that this is simply how the stores operate and make people think they're getting much better deals than they actually are.

My question is what exactly should one expect to pay? Is there a general rule of thumb: Haggle towards X% of suggested retail? (the real suggested retail that is). Or just suck it up and pay the "sale price" (which in all fairness does tend to be less than retail)?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe the "suggested retail price" in Canada includes duties, tariffs, and such? Don't know about that. Here in the US I generally pay about 70% (+/-) of the list price on basses and amps at the store where I do most of my business.
  3. wcre

Feb 10, 2005
    Nova Scotia

Ah yes, I forgot about various import regulations. Good point, I checked on guitar duties and their math makes a bit more sense factoring those in, so not quite as horrible a scam as I had thought initially.
  4. because of NAFTA there are no tariff's on american made instruments coming into canada. Canadian stores still seem to be pricing gear as if our dollar was about 15-20 cents lower then it is.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've noticed some real anomolies too. For some things, it is cheaper for me to buy it in the U.S., even with shipping, than to buy locally. Other things are actually cheaper in Canada. It's a real crapshoot right now.
  6. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

There are LOTS of factors that determine the "Street Price" of an item here in Canada, including Duties on Asian and European made products, which probably make up 65% of the goods you see in any store today.
    Another is how the store buys the product - do they buy it from the Manufacturer direct, or is there a Canadian Distributor handling warehousing and distribution for Canada in the middle between the Store and the Manufacturer?
    If there is, that Distributor has to make something on the product as well, whereas if the store buys direct from a Manufacturer the price may be closer to the US Dollar pricing equivalent.
    How large is the store? Are they a small "Mom and Pop" store? If they are they have to make more on each item they sell, since they probably don't have the same sales volume as a large store or chain of stores, and they may not be able to purchase the same volume as a larger store, thus they may not get the same pricing as the bigger store. There are so many factors involved that you can never just use an exchange rate to get a realistic Canadian dollar equivalent for the sake of comparison.
    Freight is another thing you need to consider, especially for basses and amplifiers, if your store is in Nova Scotia (East Coast for you USA folk) and you buy a line of basses from a distributor in Vancouver (West Coast), they will cost you more than the dealer in Vancouver pays for them, and so you need to sell them for more to keep selling them and actually be making money.
    The bottom line is there is no "formula" for calculating a US/CDN equivalent price that works for everything, the best thing you can do is shop around, and hopefully get the deal you are looking for.
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have noticed that quite often, if I can buy from the Canadian distributor, I can get a better deal.
  8. Hey, I'm sitting here laughing reading this thread.... because if you want to know what it is to be a done over with import tariffs and what not. Come live in Australia. If I wouldn't be taxed upon leaving the country because it was a new instrument. It would be cheaper for me to fly to America, buy a bass worth $1,000 US and come back to Australia than it would be to walk down the road and buy one.
    The general rule over here is take the price in american dollars, change it to Aussie (turn $1 US to being $1 AU), (the exchange rate is really about $1 AU = $0.78 US) and then times that amount by a little under three, and that's about what it'll cost you in Australia... :bawl: So stop your winging! hmmm.... maybe i should just live in America for a year.... :smug:
  9. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, you should. We would welcome you here in Texas. If someone wants to see your sixer, you'll have to answer, "My bass or my gun?" :D