1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What thing should I replace my tone knob with?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Float on man, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Hey, I normally donʻt use my tone knob cuz Iʻm not a big fan of muddy tones. And I’ve recently replaced my two volumes for my pickups and since I donʻt us my tone, I was thinking of replacing it. I temporally have a bridge volume push-pull that’s a kill-switch which I’m going to replace with a rick-o sound feature when I get my stereo pot. So, if I do replace my tone pot with something, what should it be? Maybe an actual kill switch? Maybe a standard concentric pre-amp? Who know. I just wanna spit ball so ideas. Thank you all.

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Kill switch is the first thing that comes to mind.

It took me about 24 years of playing bass to start appreciate them, but nowadays, I use them from time to time.

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  3. If you don't like mud, consider a bass-cut knob. G&L implements one nicely on the L-2000.

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    lavmonga and bholder like this.
  5. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Varitones? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of those. May you please explain.

Clark Dark likes this.
  6. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Really? Didn’t know you can have just the bass frequency of a preamp only.

7. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Yeah, kill-switches are awesome but, I’m personally not the most proficient when I’m tapping only with my freting hand so, who knows.

8. It's not part of the pre-amp, it's a passive bass-cut that uses a capacitor & a 1 MegOhm reverse audio taper pot:

[​IMG]

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I put a link in my previous post. A Varitone uses capacitors to change between a set number of frequencies.

10. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Cool! That’s pretty sick. A bit pricey but a cool idea. Though, I’m personally a mid-range growl kind of person but, maybe. Thanks bro.

11. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Dang, that sure sounds like an awesome addition to my bass. I’ll definitely consider that. Thanks dude. Now, I’ll have to learn how to read that first.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  12. The bass-cut cap is only 2.2 nanoFarads:

[​IMG]

Axstar, dbsfgyd1 and Torrente Cro like this.
  13. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Oooooh, okay, that make waaaaay more sense now. Thanks again.

14. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Also, sorry to be a bother but, can you just cut out the treble cut out of there and I’ll still work okay?

15. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Yup. Itll work just the same

Float on man and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. ofajen

ofajen Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    My first thought was to suggest you look into the Q-filter, since it is a simple, passive mid-cut.

Here is my thread on installing one in a P-bass. Note, I used a concentric pot, because I also kept the standard HF tone pot.

If P, then Q!

However, the point of this control is to pull down midrange components, which I like to be able to adjust, depending on the tone I'm after. You may not get much value from that if you are all about "mid growl."

Otto

ihaveaquestion and Torrente Cro like this.
  17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    StellarTone Tonestyler

I put one in my MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz and it breathed new life into it. ymmv
    upload_2019-4-13_11-42-4.

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    As you are not a big fan of muddy tones, there will always be a situation where tone knob will be usefull, but if you really want to change it make your electronics active and put ina +/- 10db switch. It could be quite usefull.

19. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    yes the treble cut may be omitted
    one thing to keep in mind is that this particular circuit requires the use of a 250k volume pot (to load the passive bass cut properly). otherwise it won't work as expected. not a big deal if you're omitting the treble cut pot, as two 500k pots appear exactly like a single 250k pot

20. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Not what the OP asked but..

Mudbuster

file.

PaulCISSA and MattZilla like this.