What things to look for??!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Aug 3, 2000.

1. ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    I get my first amp today. I have bought it from a company 700km from here (in sweden) and they ship it to me. Now i have an eight day trial period, and therefor I have these eight days for testing and checking that everthing is in good condition. The saleman i spoke to said that they have checked and played it and that it is in great condition. But one can not know...

So where do i start, what should i look for??

Its a 200W combo, 15", solid state, active/passive switchable input, four band Eq, line-out.

Ive learned so much from this board, and i hope to learn loads more.

cheers Ulf
  2. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm not an expert on amps but here are some things to look for.

1. While playing the amp listen for speaker rattling. If you hear it that probably means the speaker is not screwed in tight enough.

2. Check to see if both the passive and active inputs work.

3. If the power cord is non-detachable make sure their aren't any rips in the cord.

4. Try playing the amp at high volume levels to see if it's loud enough for you.

Hope this helps,
    Greg P

P.S. Is the Company EBS?
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...gotta admit I'm a bit curious...Is it EBS?

I'd consider tinkering with every possible setting you can drum up...play with each and every knob, and, at all volumes. Make sure that if something hisses, it's where you'd expect it to.

BTW: EBS gear is known to be very well made! If it hisses at almost any setting, I'd be concerned. Mine doesn't hiss much, even though I tested it with the treble kicked all the way up!

Another place that I've noticed in some amps that can be bad is the plug-in in the back...if it's not an attached cord. Pay careful attention to make sure everything moves smoothly and doesn't seem like it's about to fall off.
  4. ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Hey i wish it was an EBS-amp. But they are pretty darn expensive. Im just a beginning bass-player, and I bought my first amp just to have SOMETHING to play trough.

I got it yesterday and I played it all night. It's a brand called Torque, dont know anything about it more than that they are more known for their PA-stuff.

Its a pretty powerfull amp if you ask me. It doesnt sound THAT great but I think it will serve its purpose. Im gonna keep it while It only cost me about 250$, and bass-amps are really expensive here in sweden.

Most important thing is that it doesnt break on me and that it cuts through at rehearsal.
    I was about to buy a Trace-Elliott Commando a couple of months ago. It sounded very good. But it didnt make it volumewise. And I think Im better off with a descent sounding amp that I can here, than a better sounding amp that i cant here.

I havent found anything wrong with it yet, but I havent had it at rehearsal. Gonna do that this weekend.

cheers Ulf