1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What time should I turn off when practicing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skyblue977, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Hi All, my first real post here after hanging around for a while. Anyhow enough of the pleaseantries. I play a lot of Oz Rock, Rose Tattoo, The Angels, Mental as Anything etc along with the obligatiy stuff.
    Situation is thus:
    I live on a 5 acre bloke with other houses sactteredd around. I currently us a Behinger supposedly 300 watt heat with a Behringer 2*10 box. Cool for what I do but noth much else.
    My guitarist also lives in the same 5 acre block but no worries with him as he is a deaf as a doorpost but can paly the devils innstrument.. He is usually stoned.
    What time of night, understandin that we have neighbors. is an appropriate time so stop our practice?
    Sorry if I'm not clear here- mine and my tennants house on the blcok and surounded by other blocks , BTW Batemans Bay NSW Australia 2536

2. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Play until the police come

3. That was last night! No niceties just "turn it off Shane"

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    my limit is 10-11p on weekdays. weekends are fair game! :)

i live on a quiet, residential road in a relatively busy town (jamaica plain).
    but my roommates and neighbours are awesome, plus my town is filled with musicians and artists...

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I don't understand why you are asking here if the police already told you. :smug:

Anyhow, where I live the sound ordinance says that you need to quiet from 11 pm until 7am. Although if you are making too much noise during the day, you can get shut down at any time.

I have noisy neighbours who like to party every Monday night. I give them until 11 or 11:30pm to shut up. I'm very patient, but I've called the cops on them 4 times already.

But I think that universally, you shouldn't bother the neighbours after 10 pm.

6. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    At a party I had a while back, the police showed up around 2:30 am. When he walked up to the garage we busted out "driven to tears" (a Police tune if some don't know)...made for a good laugh, he just told us to close the door

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    We share a practice space with a band in an odd sort of storage room behind their apartment. (It sounds weird, but its a 20x20 room with heat/ac, no windows, good sound proofing, and two doors with lots of locks) Anyways, we're in a residential area so we have made our personal cut off time 10pm. We haven't had any complaints in almost 2 years. As long as you're reasonable, most people don't seem to mind.

8. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It really depends on your neighbors and how loud you're practicing. If they can't hear you, practice until the cows come home.

9. I say general courtesy is 10PM regardless if the law allows for later.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Do you amps have DI? Run them to a mixer and out to some headphones and really go deaf.

11. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    We live out in nowhere, but by 10 we're usually done anyway. Personally I think after 11 everything should be quiet in residential areas....... :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021