1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What timing is that riff in YYZ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    The intro is 5/4 then geddy lee and alex would do a riff before it goes to the main 4/4 hook.

I can never catch that riff....help!~

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's in 4/4. Just displaced.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Fun fact, the rythmn of the opening riff is actually the morse code signal for Y-Y-Z.

4. See sig, and replace - with C and . with F#

5. Its also the code for Toronto Pearson International Airport

6. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm counting 5/4

7. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Me too.

q=quarter note
    e=eighth note

q e q q q e | q q q q e e |

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    And here I thought it was in 7/4.

Silly me.

9. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Jan 13, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    12/8 written from the start of the rest mesure after the 5/4 intro to the end.
    I myself count it out as 3 measures of 2/4 for the rest with the ascending run starting on the 2 of the 3rd measure of rest & playing over 5 more measures of 2/4 (7 total) then to 4/4.

10. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Wikipedia says the intro is 5/4, for what it's worth.

11. You can say it's in 5/4...but the lick repeats in 10 beats, so if you said 10/4, you'd also be correct.

Z

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Guys, he's not talking about the morse code part.

13. You could cheat and look at the powertab.

14. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Jan 13, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I wrote the part in question out. Starting just after the 5/4 section ends @0:38

I attached a jpeg below. Written in 12/8.

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Bass ISO'd

16. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I'm amazed by the fact that the most complex Rush instrumental was mostly in 4/4, considering that Rush is known for abrupt time sig changes. They make those changes sound so natural, though.

17. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I did HFDF and was a Morse copier in the army.

18. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Cool! Ah!! NOW I know why I could never figure out the last part of the album version of that bass/tom run at the end (4:19). Sneaky bugger harmonized with himself :)

For this bit, Wiki says: "A brief (one measure of two-four time; i.e., a half-note rest) pause follows, before the next section...playing up- and down-scale runs for three measures (the first and third in common time and the second in two-four time), in unison."

Mrrrrrr. Dunno about that. Then again, I always counted it as a 3-and after the last stab, then pattern recognition after that.

Played with it for a min, after the two measure ride-only intro, it'll count straight through in 5/4 at 103bpm. Then it's around 140 at the verse. Ride intro was apparently overdubbed - it's at 112bpm. Peart...uh...sped it up.

Ha! Grievous pun avoidance!

If anyone wants to geek out and attack it from another angle, it's a bit squirrely, and my brain ain't workin right these days. Got bored, SS'd a pic with 16ths on the top - should be pretty obvious where it starts. Measure 28 (big hit at the end) = first beat of 4/4 verse:

YYZed.jpg

19. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I wonder whenever they wrote this, if they thought in 30 years, or so, people around the world would be arguing what time signature it was in. ^_^

20. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    there was probably a visual aspect to the timing of the last riff - in the recording studio i mean....ie: alex and geddy watch neil for a little cue for that last fast run....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021