What to add to a trio...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Sax or other horn

1 vote(s)
  2. Second Guitar

1 vote(s)
  3. Keys

19 vote(s)
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
  1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    We play blues and roots rock mostly, guitar player does all the singing (his band, his choice). We have been discussing adding another member. Positives: larger repertoire, 2nd soloist, possible vocals, rounder sound. Only negative I can see would be less money for each of us and maybe a bit of ego.

My question is what is your opinion on what to add?

Sax, keys (I know a killer organist, sings too), 2nd guitar, harp (its a blues band), zither?

Tell me what you like and why!

Thanks all!!:D
  2. if you know a killer organist then I would go with the killer organist. You already have a bond with him. Don't gotta go through the whole new person in band routine where you cut out all the sexist jokes and hesitate to invite him to the next kkk meeting.
    just kidding.
    I think that keys will fill out your sound more too.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    IMO - Keys can really fill out a bands sound and I think that the keys sound good in a blues band and you mentioned that additional vocals would possibly be a good thing and that you already know a good organist who sings...so I say you get the keyboard player.
  4. For a Pop or Blues band, I vote for keys.

If it were my choice, I'd like to see: bass, drums, guitar and keys in a quartet. I think it's the most versatile, and a nice balance. Two guitars in the same band can be boring, especially if the two players have similar styles. I love sax, but, sax in a band can limit your audience, because I don't think there are enough good songs for sax, and most people don't want to hear a sax all night.

Harp would be my second choice after keys.

If we're talking about Jazz, the above is null & void.

Just my $.02

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'd go for the keys, especially since you already know a good organist :)
  6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks SMASH. If we ever go with two bassists, you got the gig!
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I just love a Hammond organ with blues, fills the sound out beautifully.

Just think hard about whether you want to add a new band member though, if you have a working group and a good chemistry you risk ruining a good thing.
  8. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I actually have a similar dilemna with BOTH bands I am playing with right now.

I am in an all original, rock, blues thing, that is just a trio. I have no desire to add another guitar. Just muddies up what is a pretty good sound with lots of room for everyone to move and fill up space without stepping on each other. We have talked a lot about whether to add a sax or keys or ?? We will likely add someone versatile. Sax doesn't fit in all the songs, neither do keys. We are leaning towards a guy that can play sax, harp, and do a little singing.

The one band is further along. It's a cover band working, getting regular gigs, and starting to pick up steam. Music is Classic Rock, Blues funk, etc. Our guitarist is a little weak, and thus limits some of our options. He is the husband of our singer, though, who is AWESOME, so he stays. We have talked about adding a 2nd guitarist that can really play, and moving the current guy to a primarily rhythm role. In this case, we are leaning towards adding a hot guitar player that can also help with the singing duties. Have an awesome candidate in mind, but not sure if he is interested in playing with us full time. We will NOT add anyone unless the perfect fit comes along.

Something else to consider. As tough as it can be to tighten up a song, it's twice as hard with each new person you add to the group, especially if the person is playing a guitar or keys.

I think the point is, it depends on your band's situation and how the new guy is gonna mesh with what you are doing.

Side note: I gotta agree with the person commenting on that awful "modern" keyboard sound. IMO, it's either Organ or Piano. Anything else is a bad 80's flash back. I have sat in a few times in the past couple months with otherwise very solid keyboard players, that were killing me with the cheesy mushy sound.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    keys that can sing, more flexable. If there are no keys in the song he/she can fill and sing back ups whenever. You can finally do the Doors.
  10. i would definately go with a keyboardist. i love playing with kb-ers (which comes from our super tight rythym section in the school jazz band) but yeah, get a good key player and your band will be able to handle anything
  11. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Another thing is that some of the newer keybords on the market have a ton of features that you could use to inhance your show. Midi, samplers, effects, you name it. If one is into these kind of things it can be a great tool.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. ampzerobass

Aug 10, 2003
    a harp would be cool but it would get tiring. Keys all the way! and i agree with the hammond comment. i hate my keyboard for having only cheesy sounds
  14. Nothing. I hate having to struggle with two guitarists' hyperactive hands. Keys? They always want to play those low notes. No sir! These are mine!
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

Well, I AM pretty darn available, but the scheduling would suck.