what to add to my gigging pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 17, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    i'm just looking for some ideas. right now i have 3 seperate dist./O.D. pedals on it and thats it. EHX English Muffin' (somewhere between my light fuzz and solo sounds), , EHX USA Big Muff (solo), MXW 181 bass blowtorch (light fuzz)

i'm thinking of adding some more effects. I've had 2 different chorus pedals and they died (digitech bass chorus and EHX small clone) I'm looking at a boss bass chorus, 1,2, or 3 105Q wahs or a bootsy wah. and a good synth pedal.

this will all be accumulated over time. I play in an original alt rock/punk/grunge band and I share lead instrument space with our guitarist.

thnx.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like a phaser, flanger, or octaver would be a good addition to your current lineup, especially for soloing.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    3 105Qs? Trying to one-up Timmy C?

Go for an EQ (they can do some cool things -- I was able to use one instead of an octaver). Maybe an EHX Tube Zipper if you're adventurous.

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    yes. I am trying to one up timmy c. (when was the last time he logged in? his double neck jazz was amazing looking)

not a fan of eq on my board, what kind would you recommend? also just realized a good pedal tuner would be a smart idea. what type there too?

5. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    A phaser or flanger can sound great alone or matched with one of your gain pedals for that extra uhmp!

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Boss bass chorus is really :cool: . I've had it go from adding a lot of midrange/treble doubling, to a sweep type effect.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I think the Planet Waves one is the best bang per buck right now. The Peterson Strobostomp is the top dog, and the Korg DT10 is well-liked too.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I have a Boss GEB-7 that works really well. EQs can do a lot of cool things and completely change your sound. If you put them before a distortion you could use it as a clean boost or up the mids and get feedback. Like I said, I used it instead of an octaver and got a very cool dub/deep funk sound.

A Guyatone tuner might work best just cause of its compactness.

9. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Wah?

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thing is i don't want to change my sound with an eq. just add some coloration, (hence light fuzz solo, and other settings on the boxes)

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    But I think what the guy's pointing out is that a good EQ does a LOT more than just boost the highs or cut the mids or whatever. It can color, or add character, or change the perception of your tone without radically changing your sound. Cutting the right frequency band can get your tone to sit just that much better in the mix. Of the suggestions that have been made so far, did any of them appeal to you? Do you have experience with those tones?

12. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    lovin the boss chorus idea and thanks for the pedal tuner recommendations. also. wah is always good.

what type of EQ though?

13. In addition, you can set the EQ up for a certain sound, say slap, and then use it as an on/off pedal for that sound. It's a very useful tool.

In my guitar rig, the EQ pedal does a ton of work - but that's because I use a tube amp, and I set it up to drive the power tubes better...i.e. boost bass and overall level with the EQ pedal through the effects loop (requiring a subtraction of that extra bass on the preamp's front end). The level and bass boost in the effects loop drives the power tubes harder vice putting all the tone load on the preamp tubes. That's a guitar example, but it serves to show that an EQ pedal really is a nice one in the old bag of tricks.

Jay

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    In addition to all of the other recommendations, I'd give some thought to the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I continue to be pleased with the range of sounds available from this thing. The octave setting tracks better than many of the dedicated octave pedals, and the synth sounds range from subtle to wild.

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Heh, the BSW keeps coming up and I have such a huge problem with this pedal. It seems to be about half and half in terms of people loving or hating it (maybe I'll start a pole). I hate it. I can only get a few good sounds out of it and when I do the volume changes (be they cuts or increases) are dramatic. It has actually caused me to distrust envelope filters.

Speaking of envelope filters, I don't think our friend here is interested. The BSW is very flexible in terms of modes, but only has a few synth modes. I find the octave effect on it to be terrible -- it always gives an odd squawk for each note.

For an EQ the Boss GEB-7 worked very well for me. Perhaps the EHX Tube EQ would be nice...

16. RockFace

RockFace

Jul 14, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    you can't go wrong with a boss tu-2 for a pedal tuner. i have never been let down by mine.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021