Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to avoid (in other players)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I know that when I go audition for a band, that I am auditioning them to see if they meet my standards and expectations too. Could you guys please coach me on what I should be looking for and what I should I consider a deal breaker. I'm not perfect, I don't expect to get picked up by a band full of perfect musicians - so what imperfections can I reasonably work with and what should I consider a deal breaker? For example - somebody gave me a few tracks, which I thought actually sound pretty good, but there are some issues. I found that the 1st verse is 16 bars, 2nd verse is 12, 3rd is 12, 4th is 10, 5th is 9. My buddy says run away, I told him - no that's just part of the reason why this guy needs a bass player. My buddy alleges that he can hear quite well (he's a musician) and that some of the chords being played have notes being strummed that are not in the chord or that are completely out of key - and he said run away. I wondered if he just didn't misunderstand the style of music, there was a lot heavy bluegrass influence (including a banjo track) and maybe some dissonance is part of the bluegrass sound? I don't know, I'm asking. Also in this same recording, the guy is tuned a bit flat. My friend said "He's playing notes that are out, He doesn't care enough or know enough to tune before recording, he can't even play the verse the same way twice - don't waste your time with this guy" I'm not sure what to think, I did like the songs and the vibe - I think maybe the player on the tape just needs a bass player to straiten him out. I thought the music sounded good and had potential to be cool. Should I listen to my buddy and not get involved or give it a chance?
    What things are "deal breakers" - is there anything that we could universally agree is to be avoided in the musicians we play with?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Any gig you audition for should be a challenge to you. If you show up and can handle it pretty quickly, or you end up having to coach the musicians auditioning you, (unless you want to lead a band) you may get bored fast.

Look for demanding people, who are near perfectionists, but not prima-donnas about their own abilities. They are the types that encourage their bandmates to play better, and tighter.

Knowing you a bit Creepy (old name I know), you have a sense of humor, look for it in other musicians too. You'll need it out there.