1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What To Bring/Buy For My Ski Trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As yall know Im going to colorado for vacation dec 10th.

However I lived in louisiana my whole life and have no idea how to deal with cold weather.. I do plan on skiing or snowboarding and taking a snow mobile tour. I need to buy some stuff, but I was wondering if you guys could help me..
    Without spending TOO much money im gonna try to use a little bit of the stuff I already have.

Heres all the cold weather gear I own..

Under Armour ColdGear BaseLayer 2.0 Top and Bottom

Underarmour ColdGear Compression Turtle Neck Top

[2] North Face Hoodies

Under Armour Hoodie

Carhart Waterproof Coat

[On the way no idea how thick it is.]

North Face Beenie

Underarmour Hood

I know it sounds stupid but this is LITERALLY all the cold weather gear I have. I will only be up there for 3 days. So I dont need much. What should I buy and what should I bring?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Here's what you need.....remember layers?

For skiing, you;ll want the underarmor, a heavy sweater or fleece layer, and an insulated ski jacket. Longies and ski pants on the legs. Wool or poly ski sox, and top it off with a helmet or a good quality knit ski cap - the best ones have a fleece strip inside for the ears, but your North Face is fine. Ski gloves are mandatory, and I personally can't see without goggles - my eyes tear up instantly when I head downhill.

For NON-skiing, a long sleeve cotton or poly under-layer, a heavy sweater or fleece top (the Underarmor hoodie will work), and a medium-weight coat. Most of us wear our ski coats but leave the front open - you'll probably zip yours up. Jeans, with longies underneath since you're from LA. Boots with wool socks. Gloves.

You have the basics, but you NEED good longies and the accessories like gloves and boots. I can't tell you whether the Carhartt coat will do the job, but my guess is that it will be OK. You need room to wear layers under it.

I suggest you cover the basics and pick up accessories here in Colorado.

3. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks! That really does help only thing I dont understand is..

Boots? Like what kind of boots? You mean I need better longies? What would be better?

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    I'd add some kind of a neck warmer to the list. Keeping the extremities warm will be a lot nicer, so get some nice and thick socks, gloves and a windproof fleece-lined beanie. Oh yeah, and ankle-height shoes with good grip, if possible. Sneakers can be very slippery on snow.

5. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Layer layers layers.

Your UA base layers should work well.

I'd buy a pair of ski pants, gloves or mitts, wool ski socks, googles, and some kind of fleece/wool layer to wear between your base layer and coat. I don't know how warm/water proof your mask thingy is. If it's made to wear under football helmets it is porblably not going to be optimal. I'd buy a 'real' balaclava or ski hat.

Also make sure your coat has good wind protection. The thing with waterproof carhart type stuff is that they are not taped liked most modern ski wear so even if they are waterproof, you may still get water through zippers and seams. Not sure how much you want to spend but you may need a better coat too.

Brands to look at (IMO) - Mountain Hardwear for pants/coats/fleece/balaclava. Smartwool for baselayers/gloves/hats/socks. Native Eyewear for googles (just as good as top end stuff but with a much more reasonable price tag).

Have fun! Skiing is a blast!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you have a tolerance for cold, then you won't need to bundle yourself up like King Tut. The idea of layering is on the right track, I just don't want to see you overdress and be miserable.

Oh yeah, make sure all those layers match and no popped collars. :)

-Mike

7. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I will say that I used a hood like that a few winters ago. I wore that, a tossel cap, and then an army field jacket hood over it (M-65 field jacket). I was pretty warm. Keep in mind that the temperature was such when I sprayed windex on the glass side of an escalator (outside on the 5th level of Heinz Field), the windex froze within a minute or two.

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Just remember that in snow, cotton is the enemy against your skin. You want as much poly (all the proper under layers you mentioned will be fine) for wicking. Good underlayer, good socks, turtlefur neck, etc. If you are a good boarder or skiier you don't have to worry as much as you won't get that wet. If you are like me and make it to the bottom of the hill looking like a snowman, you need to be smart about it. My wife never falls so she could wear sweats and hoodies but if I did, I'd be miserable.

I also bought $50 gloves with wristguards and they were the best investment of my life. If you are brand spanking new, they also make shorts with padding for about $30 and again, not a bad idea if you don't like a sore butt.

9. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    This is how I roll, from the top down:

Helmet
    Goggles
    Scarf around uncovered bit of face

T-shirt
    Jumper
    Ski jacket

Undies
    Long johns
    Salopettes

Ski socks
    Caterpillers/Ski boots

Most times, that's all one would need, unless the temperature dips below ludicrously cold.

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    make sure you get good, proper (as in, intended for the purpose) skiing gloves. This is important :)

11. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    chapstick

12. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Please, please, please wear a helmet, especially if you're new to skiing/riding. While the chances of anything happening are very low, remember that you're going to be on the slopes with hundreds of other people, and you never know what they're going to do (pay extra attention to the kids that seem to be everywhere on the bunnies and the greens). I've had enough near-collisions with people who weren't paying attention to their surroundings that I'll never get on a mountain without a helmet again.

If you're only going to be up for three days no need to buy a helmet; at most good rental places they run about 10 bucks.

Enjoy your trip man, it doesn't get much better than skiing in the Colorado mountains! Where are you going specifically?

13. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    winter park!!

Thanks for all the help guys I got this down I think.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You'll be fine. It's not like you'll be in the middle of nowhere if you forget something. It may cost more at the resort, but you can get what you need.

Plus, all the ski resorts now have things like boot and glove warmers/dryers you can use while you take a break for lunch or a beverage.

What may possibly be a strange concept for you is when you come down off the mountain for a break is to set your board or ski's outside on a rack. For years and years, there has always been a code of honor among winter sport enthusiasts that you don't rip off someones gear while they are inside taking a break. Well, times have changed, so there are now places you can check in your gear if you are worried about theft.

P.S...I blame the snowboarders for ruining the code of honor. Darn kids. :D

-Mike

15. Why would a snowboarder want to steal skis? Skis/skiers are lame. :ninja:

16. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    whiskey.

17. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Ever seen a skier sit down in the middle of a piste and adjust their bindings for 1/2 hour, before going sideways down he slope, ruining all the snow?

18. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Beat me too it, but yeah extra money for the bar incase you break something.

19. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Ski Coat (forget about typical winter street coats)
    Ski Bibs
    Turtleneck shirts
    Long Johns
    Your choice of Ski Hat/Cap
    Your choice of Ski Gloves
    Sunglasses that won't Gouge Your Face!
    Thermal Socks
    An Athletic Woman With a Good Sense of Humor & Similar Clothing

People are really going for helmets, these days?

20. +1, if you wanna avoid gettin yo butt whooped around these here parts ;)