1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to buy: ATK805 or Tobias Growler 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is a pretty clean Tobias Growler 5 for about $800 at a local shop that I really love to play. The neck is wonder and I like the tone although I would love to slap on it with new strings. For the same money, I could order an Ibanez ATK 805. These new ATKs have gotten rave reviews. What sounds best to you guys?

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I gave up a Growler years ago because I never really found a tone I liked and the neck was a bit narrow for me. That said, I waited a long time to sell it because it was so nicely made I wasn't sure I wanted to part with it.

If you already know you like the neck and the tone it seems like a no-brainer to me. The ATKs are, in fact, great and versatile basses, but the Growler is a known entity. You know exactly what you're getting 'cause you've played it.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Growler. But I'm totally biased though.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Haven't played either, but I would think the 2nd pickup would make the ATK more versatile.

Either way, best of luck with the decision, Doc!

Bob

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That's a hard decision to make, the Ibanez would be more versatile, but the Growler is a Tobias bass :cool:

I wish i could help you but i would be as undecided as you are.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know the tone and feel of ATKs too and I like them also, that is why the choice is making me think a bit.

7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The Tobias is nice, but the new ATK805 has gotten great reviews...and it's prettier. :) The only thing, is that I will NEVER buy an ATK again. I had a 305 a few years back, new at the time, and it made this totally random, god-awful shrieking/screaming noise from the pickup, and basically deafened my band and the crowd (one show was enough), and me at home practicing. The shop where I bought it from couldn't find the problem. I took it back, and didn't get another. Maybe Ibanez has the 805 quite a step above...who knows. I'm staying away from them, but am interested to see how they fare with others. Hell, if it sucks, then put a deposit on the Tobias at the same time you would get the ATK. You can take back the Ibby, and grab the Toby.

My two cents!

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    ATK

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have admit that owning an actual Tobias has an appeal for me. That said, the bass is nice and light, and would be breeze to play live. I hear the new ATKs are light too which combined with their
    great electronics should make them a truly fine deal.

10. Doc - your GAS has returned - I knew you couldn't shake it. :D

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It may stay provided that my car repair bill is not too high!

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, with that in mind, the ATK will definitely be more versatile. My Growler was pretty much a one-trick pony. The electronics were really complicated and offered lots of tonal "options", except that they were all pretty similar to each other.

Beautiful build quality, but it just wasn't my cup of tea long-term.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just played an ATK805 this evening, and blows the Growler out if the water!
    I'm buying the ATK without a doubt. This bass is just like a Skyline 55-02 except that it gets a much better Stingray tone than a Lakland, and it is only half the price.

14. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Glad you like the ATK. Some Growlers are excellent but some of the more recent ones are a lot more limited tonally than the earlier ones. The later Gibson-made Growlers changed the P/U and tone circuit configuration making them far less "growly". The ATK 805 would be closer to a Tobias Killer B, but a better value via the lower cost.

15. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Atk all the way that's what I say! Enjoy it cheese ball!

16. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Good call, Dr!!

17. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Cheese I gotta tell you.....the growler is more comfortable to play imho.....but the ATK is a tone monster! And way more versatile overall....

Ultimately the decision is up to you....but if it were me, I would buy the ATK hands down

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are right, the Tobias has a sweeter neck for sure. The ATK neck is chunky like my Rebop, but I don't mind.:bassist:

19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're ending up with a more versatile bass, that's for sure. Looks like we have a happy cheese! (Whey cool!)

20. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Getthe tobias.

Super fast players, Make sure its the kind with the 2 switches. NOT The new one with the 5 knobs. Thats not what a growler was designed to be. Super crisp, 18V of bass, incredible preamp. Cannot recommend enough.

[​IMG][/IMG]