1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to buy? Bass or rig? (LONG POST WARNING)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Sep 26, 2010.

1. RIG now. Bass later.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. BASS now. Rig later

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Neither. Save yo money fool.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Carrots.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    OK, so I have been playing for a year and a half. I am in a band that I love and were starting to get some gigs. The gigs have been well received and were feeling pretty good about that. We play rock and roll. About 50-50 originals to covers. The covers are Grateful Dead, Neil Young, The Band, etc. I have a modded Mexi P-bass that I love and sounds really good with DiMarzio pups and Chromes. I am playing thru a Fender Bassman TV Duo-Ten and with effects (Tech 21 VT bass and Boss Bass Chorus only). Im a big fan of flats with the VT for the old-school gooey tube sound. I had a G&L JB that I recently sold here because I could never match the sound in my head and couldnt get right with the Jazz. Im a P-bass guy for sure. I love that low-mid punch!

The Bassman TV has been loud enough (300 watts) and sounds really good for the gigs we have had so far and for recordings. I think its powerful enough to carry me through most small to medium bar gigs.

So I have this money ($1000) that I could go buy a brand new 2008 Fender P-bass MIA (been sitting there because of the color I guess-charcoal mist) that I have played a lot in the shop and I know its a great one. Or I could sell the Bassman and pool the money and get a pro-rig now in anticipation of bigger gigs between now and February. I am getting a bonus in February that would cover a new MIA P-bass if I want one then. The head/cab I'm looking at is the TC Electronics RH450 with a good 410 or 212 (Genz Benz or Ashdown or similar).

So, what do you suggest I do?

2. Rig. Definitely.

3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Also a matter of note. Now I have only the one bass. Having sold my 2 others.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    If I was you, I'd probably just get a 2x10 extension cab and save the rest of the money.

You sound like you're happy with your rig. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    most of the rigs that were considered "big" for my band were situations where NO bass amp will project as loud as it needs to in the mix on its own without PA support. It's only a question of how much stage volume you want.

If you like your tone from the Fender amp, invest in a better bass and maybe a good mic as well for when you will be miking your cab at big gigs. I couldn't tell you how many rigs I sold that were GREAT because I wanted "more volume" in anticipation of big gigs. When you get to those big gigs, the sound guys put a mic up to your cab or get you to go D.I. to the board....kind of anticlimactic :crying:

6. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    Hi

Yep I stand with Vanilla Thunda on this one, bigger gigs usually come with PA and with a decent mic you get the earthquake you want, plus some mids in the monitor (if).

And for stage volume you amp is sweet, sure a tall rig behind you is a very nice "feeling"...but with the right soundguy you will hear and feel yourself.

Get a nice mic and a nice DI, something tubey maybe.

But then again if you think you might need a head, for say record yourself than the TC is cool to have and you can always evolve from there

...Tough one but if you are satisfied with your sound I think you can go on quite a bit until you reach a limit and then who knows what you would want and be able to buy???

7. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    If you are happy with your current bass what bother buying another bass?
    and I agree with VanillaT and elzeder, biggir gigs usually comes with PA.

So I vote option 3 (save the money) and buy one high end bass (MTD, sadowsky, Lakland, etc). just my $ 0.02

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

9. i'd buy the best head i could that will fill your now and future needs and save for february bonus time for a cab....a lot of heads have a built in di....use the speakers you have now,and rent for any situations where you need more,.....the mexipre will probably be fine,but you will probably have an urge to add other basses later....

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021