Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to buy cab and effects or a new head ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewibassist, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Hiya at the moment I own a Warwick profett IV an Aguilar gs-112 and a Warwick 410. I love my gs-112 and I have made the decision to sell my Warwick 410. But once I have sold that I will have some money to spend on some new gear. I have two options. Option one is to buy another gs-112, ebs bass IQ, and an Aguilar outboard pre to beef up my passive Warwick.
    Option two is to sell my Warwick head and cab and use the money and find a better head. I was thinking along the lines of a second hand Eden wt550 or a Swr 750x or any other high end head. I also feel that my Aguilar deserves a nicer head and I feel I am not getting what I want out of my Warwick.

I play mostly small gigs and the occasional big gig with a few jazz bands. I’m not sure if I have the need for a second Gs-112 but I have heard that two of them make a great combo. If you were in my position what would you go for?.

Lewis

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    outside of flipping a coin i would try both setups and see which i liked better
    what are the specs on your warwick head? (i.e., watts into 8 ohms and 4 ohms and maybe 2 ohms)

3. My Warwick head is 400 watt at 4 ohms. Im not sure what is it at 8ohms probably around 200 watt at a guess. Would i be under powereing my Aguilar ?. Its going to be hard to try the heads becasue i live in the uk at its hard to get hold of realy quality gear. There are only around two distributors over here. I would be lucky to find them on ebay aswell without importing one of them from the U.S.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    considering that your head is about 400 watts i would probably get a 2nd aguilar 112 if you like it that much. wou would have a very portable rig that caould get pretty darned loud. :cool:

5. yea im kinda swaying towards getting the second Aguilar. I do need the portability for the kind of venues i play at. There very awkward for getting gear to. Ivan i have just looked in the thread 'show your amps' you have a impresive setup :p . By any chance have you tried the Aguilar outboard pre ? .