1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to buy for first half stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 60jbass91, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Hi
    i have been playing for quite a few years in a successful local band. I currently play a 60's Fender reissue J bass through a Ashdown mag 300 1x15 combo and have finally decided to upgrade to a half stack.
    At the moment i have my heart set on an ampeg SVT VR reissue with an ampeg B-410 HLF with the idea that if i needed to in the future i could buy a 115 e to extend it to a full stack. But im not totally 100% on whether or not this is the right choice.
    i enjoy playing a wide range of music such as kings of leon and the smiths right the way through to stevie ray vaughan and jaco pastorius. I must say im really getting in to the whole jazz thing alot recently so i would love something that would be versatile enough for me to play that much. I really like a raw punchy sound with plenty of mid and a touch of rumble but with a shimmering high because i do use alot of the fret board. i know this sounds like alot to ask for. So i would just like to put this question out to some of you more experienced guys to see if you could share some of your knowledge and help me to make my mind up on what to spend my hard earned cash on.
    Thanks

2. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Sounds like a good rig to me! You've got my approval, the only thing I would suggest is to get the silver clothe on your cab to match the head. that way you look supa fly when your playing.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    How much are you planning on spending? Do you plan on moving your rig a lot? Have you considered a more modular approach (a couple of 210 cabs)?

Why do you want a 115 as a second cab? What other heads have you tried with that 410 cab? What other cabs have you tried with the VR? How about buying used--don't you realize you can get higher quality for the same $$$? Shall I save any further questions? :D :D :D

4. ampegs arnt for me

so im gonna sugest ashdown

or look on ebay for the old trace elliots

but if i were you id go to a music shop and try as meny amps as possable

you may find you might want somthing else

just see what fits your sound

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, why a 15 paired with a 410? I assume it's because many think it'll add more bottom, but that's a myth. Also, that 410 (hlf) is a 4 ohm cab, and most 15's are 8. But a VR paired with a Bergantino NV610 would be all you'd ever need.

6. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    thanks ofr your oppinions lads
    has anyone tried any of the markbass stuff?

7. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    and rickenboogie have you ever play with one of those bergantino cabs? they look real meaty but i dont want a mellow sound i like it quiet growling thats why i wasnt to keen on the ampeg cabs, and as for ashdown my combo has been great but the other stuff just doesnt cut it as a high end rig does anyone know where is good to buy second hand apart from ebay?

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

Yes, a lot of people on TB are fond of MarkBass, especially the LittleMark II/III and F1, though there is no two ohm capability offered by MarkBass, yet--as far as I know.

BTW, I agree that a 115 makes a poor companion to a 410, despite what has been done in the past. I have done it with Pro SWR stuff (GII and SOB). I now have a single 4 ohm Epifani 410 that levels my old 410/115. Put a 210 under that, and you're bangin! Having a couple of channels of 500 watts into 4 ohms is goooood. :cool:

My advice is to think very carefully about what head you get. If you want maximum flexibility, you may need 2 ohm capability. SVT's are big, beefy, and classic. They are also big, very heavy, no 2 ohm, and IMHO, not of the quality they used to be. There are, IMHO, better rigs--but they require some thought. :eyebrow:

What about some of those questions in my previous post? :confused:

9. if you're in the uk and can afford it i've heard good things about orange 1x15......use it as an extension for now add a head later......an ad 200 w/ 2x15's is supposed to be a killer rig

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you're going to have a b410 hlf, there is really only one cab that goes with it...another b410 hlf. those hlf cabs are such unique birds that imho they stand alone and could never be mixed with anything. they flat out bury a 115 in both volume and low end. so it'll be heavy and a bit of a pita to stack, but for me a matching cab would be my only choice if i already had an hlf.

11. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

Gotta agree with Jimmy.

But why would you need two? :bag:

12. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I agree especially when the head is only pushing out 300w each cab can handle more than that on its own so the only reason i could see to buy two would be to put them in stereo rather than stacking them unless the club was a really werid shape and you needed the height.
    another reason i have my eye on the vr is so i could naturally overdrive the tubes rather than using pedals because solid states just cant cut it unfortunatly, and like i said before i love the dirt you get from tubes i rarely enjoy a clean sound :(.

13. 60jbass91

60jbass91

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Im planning on spending about 3000 but thats in english pounds not dollars :) moving it just for gigs, after hearing some of the other guys oppinions i think maybe a bergantino nv610 would be all i would ever need? and whats your oppinions on buying used?
    Btw im telling myself im buying this so i will never have to buy another rig ever again but we all know thats not going to happen haha so thats why im aiming to get top notch stuff that in theory i shouldnt have to replace.
    being a musician is a disease and the only temporary cure is to buy more gear or play live :D

14. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. That is why it is so important to try many different heads paired with different cabs. With my last purchase, I spent many, many hours researching cabs and heads. I narrowed them down, and then spent many hours playing the prospects through different cabs, using different basses.
    I would classify myself as old school, but I like many kinds of music. When it was all said and done, I came home with a Thunderfunk TFB750A. I can get any sound from that head that my mind can consider and do it easily. It is built like a tank and from what I gather, Dave Funk's customer service is top notch. Plus it is light.

I'm not necessarily suggesting a Thunderfunk (everyone has different taste) however, I would suggest that you not leave anything out based on perception. Honestly, I was, and still am, blown away by the Thunderfunk. I have cured my Head G.A.S. forever!

There, I fixed it for you. :)