What to buy in Europe for 1000EUR / 1200USD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bukulin, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    Hi there,

TL;DR: P bass with chunky neck for 1000 EUR in Europe?

So, I've just read the thread 'what to buy for $300' and I am courious if you could recommend a good P bass in the price range, especially in Europe.

Some background: I'm not a newcomer, but seriously, I have a lot to learn. There are some basses in the shed but most of them are J style ones. I'm really interested in funk, jazz, soul and blues music so I've just realized that I really want a P bass.

I also have a cheap harley-benton PB50 bass, but that is 50's style, single coil prec. It sounds good, but that is not what I am looking for. The neck of the instrument is really confortable for me. It wide (42mm) and thick (~ 24mm).

The short hands-on test for the following instruments are done:
    • MIM standard precision bass: Sounds OK, but the neck is too thin
    • MIM 50's precision bass: The neck is wide but not as thick as I want, also looking for a rosewood fretboard, if possible
    • Squier CV 70's: Sounds OK, but the neck is not wide enough
    • Roger Waters signature fender: Well, it is too black.
    So I want to buy a reliable instrument which will not begin to decay in a year. What are the opinions?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    Definietly on the list. According to the lakland homepage it also has the not so thick (.76"/19mm) neck.

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi bukulin :)

That will say: you love them girls to be chubby? :D

get a rattle can! :laugh:

859 euro (thomann) + rattle can(s) + stickers :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

problem solved!!!!

Or not? Looks like you are searching for something that is not real...(not even in the U.S!!!)

welcome to Europe....

we do not bite! :D

thZXJRFPD8.jpg

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Vinny_G and Mili like this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    edit to say: go home and hide under a stone!

Vinny_G likes this.
  5. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    Thank you for the piece of a good advice. :)

6. Which existing P bass neck are you looking for ? It seems you don’t have very clear ideas...
    Good P basses made in Europe for your budget are those from Marusczyk but they all have thin necks ...

7. A simple solution would be find a P-bass you like the sound of and transplant the PB-50 neck on it. Another would be buy a lbody or a loaded body and again use the PB-50 neck. Your budget of 1000 euro would allow for top quality pickups,bridges etc so you might finish with a fantastic bass.

BTW
    My own PB-50 neck is in perfect condition after 4 years and countless hours play, I also know a fella that toured 2 years in a 50's Rock 'n' Roll show using his PB-50. The price is misleading, they are extremely good necks.

Vinny_G likes this.
  8. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    You're right. Unfortunately I don't have clear ideas, because I do not have the possibility to try various P basses. Unfortunately shops don't keep stock of too many kind of basses in Hungary.

By the way, is there a common place where the dimensions (at least width and depth) of the various P bass necks are listed? I cannot find anything. I found on the lakland homepage, that the 51-44 model has something similar neck that I'm looking for. Unfortunately it is over the budget and I cannot find a good european distributor.

9. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    That is a good idea, and I have consulted a local luthier. He said that the sizes of the neck pockets are not standardized, so the neck and the body might not fit.

10. @bukulin
    A pocket can easily be widened. If its too wide already that's not an issue, gaps around the neck are common on my basses. Fender fans swear it is OK :laugh:

I'm surprised your local Luthier never mentioned that.

11. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    I shall find a new one. :)

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. The mexican classic 50s/roadworn 50s have considerably thick necks, but I think the thickest necks fender produces are on the Roger Waters and Mike Dirnt signature basses. The Steve Harris is a close second but it is U shape, which even though thick, it is different and maybe not something you would like, also the aesthetics are not everybody's cup of tea.

If I was you I would go for the Roger waters, change the pickguard to a tort one, get a new bridge and knobs and call it a day. Probably it would cost you around 50€ for all the additional hardware.

Another interesting offering would be the Michael Anthony Sig from Schecter. It has a jazz width neck but it is a lot of bass for the price.

13. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    1000€ will get you a lot if you buy used. MIA Fenders are obtainable in this price range used, no need to go for a new MIM honestly.

So if you are in the market for a pbass I would of course recommend Fender but does it really need to be THE Fender? Yamaha has some awesome BBs in that price range that will blow your mind away for example.

Also, Laklands, but you won't find a USA one for that money.
    Also, Mayones, Sandberg, Maruszczyk is great for the money, you could opt for a new one for that money (ok a bit more) and you can absolutely optimise the guitar the way you want. Even neck colour is selectable.

el murdoque likes this.
  14. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    To be honest, with all my respect, you have not eased my pain. :)
    That option also came into my mind. I have tried the 50's MIM, as I mentioned in the beginnig of the thread, but no Roger Waters signature is available. Anyway, the worst case is to order one from thomann, and sending it back, if I cannot get used to it.

By the way, there is a Mike Dirnt signature Squire available on the second hand market. But I cannot reach the advertiser. :/ Do you have any thoughts on that instrument?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  15. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    Used guitar market in Hungary is not full of MIA P basses. Sometimes emerges one but they are out of budget. I only know ebay and reverb as a common marketplace for used instruments but I've heard roumors about serious issues and misleading ads. Are those reliable? Do you know other sources?

Of course not. I also keep an eye on Yamah BB734a, but no local stock is available at the moment. I have neither seen quality reviews.

Oh my God, I've customized so many Maruszczyk Jakes on the webpage. :D But those are customizable only for 38 and 40 mm neck width, as far as I can remember. At least 41.27 mm (1.625") is required. :)

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    You can get a Maruszczyk Jake (P bass) for as low as 800€ used, I've had one I paid 850€ for (5 string P+MM Delanos, active). Great bang for the buck. I'd personally prefer a Maruszczyk over pretty much anything mentioned.

Sparkl likes this.
  17. bukulin

bukulin

Feb 4, 2009
    I've heard so many good opinions about the Maruszczyk instruments. Can you compare it to a Fender? Have you owned both? Thank you in advance. (Yes, I know there are loads of threads with this question, but I like to have as many opinions as I could.)

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    if you can find a used Fender Mike Dirnt sig P, it has one of the thickest necks I've ever played, front to back.

the pickup sounded great too.

(I've only tried the original version, not the newer road-worn model, so not sure if the later ones have a similarly massive neck).

19. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Yes, I've also owned a couple MIJ Jazzes and also had an American Deluxe P 5er borrowed from a friend for months (P+humbucker, active) and the Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ is LIGHT YEARS ahead, better playability, better tone, better low B (might not affect you but Fender severely sucks at 5ers), a much better fit & finish and a much lower price tag, even when new and even if you ask for custom options. For me they're hardly comparable.

raphaeld likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021