1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to buy? Need some advices.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodrigo Santorato, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Rodrigo Santorato

Rodrigo Santorato

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello guys! I'm a guitar player and I'm currently working on my home studio. I'm not in a band so I'll just record all the instruments by myself. Therefore I decided to buy a bass guitar!

I don't know much about bass guitars so I come here to ask you. What is the bass I'm looking for?

I prefere it to be passive. With frets. $500~$700. 4 or 5 strings? I don't know yet.....
    My music style would be some sort of a 70's heavy and bluesy rock. Tending a little bit to the psychedelic side of the force. I like stoner rock a lot too. Some examples of the bands I like: Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Radio Moscow, Stoned Jesus, Blues Pills, Floyd, etc... Just so you guys know the sound I'm looking for.

So definitely going for a "vintage" type of sound.

I'll plug it into a M-audio Fast Track pro. And probably going to use Amplitube 3.

I'm open to any suggestion/advices since I know little to nothing about bass guitars.

I apologize for any english mistakes. Thank you for your time.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Fender P. If you are going to have one bass in a studio, that should be it.

3. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    Most if them use P's. squire are in your price range. Classic vibes are nice.

I bought a Warwick rock bass which is fantastic apart from The electronics. After looking into it I found out about award winning sector basses. I'd check those out.

I ended up changing the electronics with my Warwick and I'm happy enough rill I get a wal

Rodrigo Santorato likes this.
  4. Rodrigo Santorato

Rodrigo Santorato

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
  6. Rodrigo Santorato

Rodrigo Santorato

Jan 30, 2015
  7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Ok, I was just checking which side of the water you are on, as pricing changes a lot on this side of the world :(

I agree with the above who said a P Bass should be able to cover most situations. Usually if there is only one bass, it is a P Bass. A P/J may also be a good option, giving you a little more tonal options.

For your price range you could definately look at Squiers, also, I don't know what the used market is like in your area, but you should also be able to find a nice used Fender P in that range.

Rodrigo Santorato likes this.
  8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Fender Precision Bass or Jazz Bass. Yamaha BB bass.

9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+1 for the P/J's! :hyper:

My first-ever bass was a used Fender Aerodyne Jazz. With it's pickup configuration, it's quite capable of a deep, bluesy sound, but can also get a bit "aggressive" by working the Jazz pickup into the mix. Oh, did I forget to mention that it's also Sexy As Hell?!

FAJB.jpg

+1 for the Classic Vibes too, especially if you want to go for the lower end of your budget. Of the two I've owned, one was "Solid" and the other was "Amazing". :thumbsup:

It's a shame there's no Classic Vibe P/Js. I've often thought of modifying a used CV-Jazz into a "Classic Hot-Rod-Vibe Jazz", using either a Blacktop or Reggie Hamilton Jazz pickguard as a routing template to install a CV-P pickup. drool

10. For studio work you can't go wrong with a P bass. If you need something different later on, you can add a jazz pickup in the bridge position, or a mudbucker in the neck poition, but you can EQ up most vintage tones without mods.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    If you're a guitar player you might feel a bit more at home on a short scale bass neck.
    On a bang for the buck scale I don't think you can find a better deal than a Squier Jaguar Short Scale for the type of music you'll be playing. The split P neck pickup on the Jag is one of the best I've ever played and the jazz bridge pickup allows you to get that signature bark, burp and growl that jazz basses do best. They cost about $180 here in the US.

Here's a guitar players review of one (not me)...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021