What to buy Valenti Vs Lakland DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 22, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right people, I have a huge dilema, I was planning on treating myself to a new bass, now I have settled one two that I could afford and I'm not sure which to get.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to 4 vs 5 arguement but anyway

My current gear is
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Modded MIM Classic 60's Jazz
    Ibanez Blazer

(All passive)

Ibanez SRX 505 (Active)
    Peavey European Bass (passive)

So I can justify both, I don't have a hi end 5 string and I don't have an active 4 string. Nino has said that he can perform mods to the Silver Jazz, Such as Series/Parallel and a drop D-tuner.

The seller of the DJ-5 will also be able to add a series parallel mod.

The pro's and cons as I see it are

Pro Valenti - Its a great american made bass, great customer support, I'd be the only person in the uk with one, I love vintage styled basses, In the uk its about the price of an active MIM jazz and from what I have read the quality is far greater, it would be my only active 4 string so it would fill that void.

Cons Valenti - Resale value out side of tb is low and being in the uk makes it harder (Although I probably would never sell it.), I use alot of effects and an active bass might not work that well with some of them, erm and thats about it.

Pro Lakland - Good name and rep over here, would be easy to sell, has block inlay and binding, I would be in a limited few people with one of these basses, it looks really nice, more retro than vintage.

Cons Lakland - Its 35 inch scale, I'm not sure how much I would use a passive 5 string, my band currently is 4 strings only to the point where using a 5 is distracting.

Both of these basses will cost me more or less the same.

So any help you guys can offer would be greatly apprciated.

2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    From reading the pros and cons in your post, the thing that sticks out the most to me is the fact that you probably don't need a 5-string.

While the Lakland is a fine bass, there are a lot of us here who will certainly attest to the greatness of Nino's basses and, given what you stated above, I think your best bet is to go with the Valenti.

That is a beautiful bass that I would buy in a heartbeat were I looking for a bass in that price range.

And another thing to consider:

Concerning the resale value, Nino is quickly building a name for himself and his brand and, since this board is frequented by posters from around the world, you can bet that, should you ever need to sell it, you'll likely get interest from fellow UK posters.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

tough choice , but i think PB is correct .
    Nino will give you great customer service ,
    construction of his basses is super ,
    resale should be very good ...
    once you get your hands on this bass , i doubt that you
    will ever want to let it go .

{ plus the Inca Silver just looks so cool ... }
  5. Im a big fan of the DJs, but in this case I think Id go with the Valenti. Ive heard nothing but good reports about Ninos work and customer service.

Either bass will sound great, but I think that Valenti takes the cake in the looks department.
  6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Have Nino build you a 5er!

From what I have read about his work and the pics I have seen, you can't go wrong.

I am trying to decide if I need a four. If I decide to get one I am having Nino build me one.
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Them both are just beautys,i don,t have idea in their sounds,but the Lakland head stock is just the best for my taste.
  8. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have not played a Valenti, but based on the reviews of them, that's what I would go with. You can ALWAYS get a DJ5. They're not that hard to find. I don't think you would have any trouble selling the Valenti if it wasn't to your taste either.
  9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Go with Nino. Great service, fantastic bass. No worries. Forget about resale.... you won't sell it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Valenti ! , Nino is doing great work. :bassist:
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Valenti. It sounds more fitting to you. Plus you don't really need a 5er.
  12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I had a gig a while back where I grabbed my double gig bag from my studio (with two basses in it) and bolted out to the gig, without paying attention what was n the bag (I though I knew).
    Well, I was shocked as hell to find in the bag, only a pair of 4 bangers.
    Not the end of the world or anything, but for this gig, I usually play a five (new "pop" country/covers). At first I was like "DAMN!!" but hey, whatcha gonna do. So I dove on in four string style and it really didn't make much of a difference really.
    BTW, I've been playing 5 strings for close to 15 years now almost exclusively. I'll play a 4 on the gig, but me 5's were getting about 98% of the work.
    I've been playing a four string about 98% of the time now.
    You really don't need a 5er!!
    And Nino is the shiznit!
  13. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hmm, well after looking at my options.

I think I will be cashing in some savings bonds and buying both or hopefully I will, I will also be selling both my 5 strings.

For about 2 years I played 5's pretty exclusively so I feel I need to have at least one around and I've never had one of this quality before so it should be great, and a passive 5'er is kinda perfect for leaving unplayed for along period of time. Wouldn't have to change any batteries before playing it for the first time in months

So that will leave me with 4 4's and 1 5 which seems about right for a more or less exclusive 4 string player who wants to be really versatile.

But thansk for the opinions guys keep them coming, maybe buying two is a terrible idea, maybe not.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I say the Valenti, but I'm guessing you already knew that.

I noticed that one con for the Valenti was that you were worried it wouldnt work well with your effects since its active but that shouldnt be a problem. As a matter of fact, I use my active Valenti 5 string (Aguilar OPB-1, just like the bass pictured) when I really need good triggering of my effects. It seems to work better with my Deep Impact than any other bass.
  15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Valenti +1 but I'm a die hard 4-Banger..
  16. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It was more of a fuzz thing anyway nick man you know the impedance, I think all my other effects are fine with active basses.

But thats interesting about the deep inpact.

17. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    DUDE!! How could you!
  18. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you have the funds, you could get either a DJ or a Valenti in a 4 or a 5, and you can get either in passive or active (J-Retro with the DJ5)
  19. If it were my hard earned dollar: V a l e n t i
  20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass