Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gonzo85, Mar 31, 2001.

1. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    I've been playing bass for about a year and I think its time for a new amp. I'm really sick of my piece of crap crate. I only have about $600. I'm playing a luthite ibanez and looking for a smooth, round tone. If anyone knows of any good combos or anything please let me know. Thanks.

2. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Ampeg B-115, its a rockin!

3. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    What kind of crate do you have.

4. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    I have a bx-50, and thanks, ill check out the ampeg.

5. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I have a bx-100 and i dont think its crap.Plus Ampeg and Craye are made by the same company so they arent to much different.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Don't get an ampeg combo, they're not very good with combos.

Round tone... Check out Peavey.

Here's one with 2x10 and a tweeter, 350 watts, 500 with the external cab... Tons upon tons of goodies, check it out...
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/bam_210.html

Here's a 1x15, 210 watts, but 300 with an external cab. Not as nice as the one above, but still a pretty damn sweet combo...
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/combo115.html

Here's another 1x15, not as much power as the other, but a few more goodies, 150 watts, but 200 with an external cab, comes with a built in chorus...
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/tnt115.html

My main suggestion is the BAM210. It has more goodies than any other amp I've seen... (I'll venture to say even more than the SWR mo'bass head. Except in the power aspect)

Hope that helps. :D

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there, just got a Peavey Combo 115, and I think it's by far better than the Hartke kickback combo I used to have. I use it with a MIM fender jazz bass, strung with Fender 9050ML strings. So far, I really like it.
    Maybe it's not the most modern sounding combo out there, but what it does have;
    Good clean low end
    Plenty of power( at least for what I do with it)
    Built like an M-1 tank
    Makes it a good amp for the money IMHO.
    Best advice; try many different amps, and let your ears decide which one sounds best.
    Hope this helped.
    Peace.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Best advice I've heard. I suggest checking out the Peavey's I mentioned though. The BAM 210 I've never tried, but I play a Peavey firebass head, 410TXF cab, and 115BXBW cab... and if there's one amp I envy, that's it... Although I'd never get it, since I have this wonderful head...

The BAM 210 has more build in options than a Zoom 506! (No, I'm really not a peavey salesman haha :D )

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    99 times out of 100, "built-in" effects blow, and aren't that usable live anyway.

You can't go wrong with the Ampeg.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And you certainly can go wrong with a Peavey. :p

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've found tube heads/amps have way less overall volume to them than a solid state amp, so IMHO tube's incredibly worst than solid state. I'm going to say what I said before. Peavey's are talked about mostly by people who've never really tried them, and if they did it was their older models which were incredibly bad. If the BAM 210 was such a bad combo, then why would it list for $1300?

Hmm... There goes the Peavey being cheap thing. And you certainly CAN go wrong with Ampeg. I tried an SVT head out... hated the thing.

Peavey's are really built like a tank. They have a solid sound, not really biased against anything. Indestructable too.

That's just IMHO though...

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And there are a ton of people here who will disagree with you. I don't know if there's even one who will agree.
    Indeed, IYHO... when did "overall volume" become the only issue? :confused:
    Granted, I have not played their newer amps, only some old POS head and an elderly TKO 75 (which I didn't like much). But I had until recently a PeeWee 410TX cabinet which sucked a llama's ass, if you ask me. And I have found the pieces of Peavey PA equipment I've encountered being mediocre at best. So I have no confidence in any Peavey gear. They'll do the job, but nothing more.
    I guess an Alessandro amp with a gold chassis must be the best amp in the world then. They happen to cost over $50,000.
    That's a quote that will confuse a lot of people here, I'm sure of it (choosing Peavey over an SVT?)! :D I'm not a big fan of either brand (or any of their amps), but if I had to choose, I'd have an Ampeg over a Peavey every day. Even if it's a SOLID STATE combo, as the BA-115 mentioned earlier actually is!

13. go for an AMPEG, MARSHALL, or SWR

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Peavey makes some nice amps. I've checked out all of their current line. I have a current model Ampeg combo, a B-100R. Why?...tone.

To say Ampeg isn't very good with combos is interesting... old B-15's are still sought after for studio work. The Ampeg combos in his price range are solid state, not tube, even mine.

Which Ampegs do you have personal experience with?

BTW the $1300 list price on the Peavey means that's the starting point from which the selling price will be determined...what they ultimately hope to get for it. It has no bearing on actual worth, you and other potential buyers have to decide if it's "worth" it. The Roland combos have a fairly high retail price but I wouldn't buy one on a bet.

BTW pt.2 ...where's Easton? I grew up near Easton, MD.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Easton; Pennsylvania.

And you can't determine the price of something that was a promodel and just getting shipped now.

I've tried various ampeg heads, with Ampeg 8x10 cab's. I didn't like any of it. A 300 watt head was weaker than any 100 watt head I've ever tried. I've tried just about all of their combos, considering that's pretty much the only thing that GV sells (And's the only thing I can try a bass out on)

And for your question "Why? ...tone?"

You're right, I think Peavey has a much better tone than ampeg. Ampeg's sound sounds like it's missing something.
    And no, it's not my bass, because I own 3 bass's. and have used each of them on Ampeg's and on my Peavey rig before buying them.

Overall volume should be an issue. Volume in the more factual sense, as in how fat the signal is.

Peavey's have a much fuller sound than Ampeg IMO, and you're not gonna change that. I don't know what the point of your arguing is, Oysterman or whatever the hell your name is.

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey gonzo85, the best thing for you to do is;
    go to the websites of many different companies, and read all that you can about the amps that you are interested in.
    Take your bass to the stores, and try these amps out(not possible with Carvins, unless you live in southern California. But don't worry-they have a 10 day money back no questions asked return policy in case you don't like it.)
    Go with the one that sounds and works the best for what YOU want to do with it.
    As for whether solid state is better than tubes, or whether a particular amp sucks, that is all personal preference. Ten different players will give ten different opinions.
    You know what you can also do, is talk to the guys who repair this equipment for a living; find out if there are particular brands and models that always seem to come into the shop having problems.
    Really, we don't have to beat each other up over this; it's all up to what each one of us personally prefers.
    Peace.

17. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Fortunately, I do live in Southern California, so I can check out the Carvins. So it looks like Peaveys and Ampegs for the most part. I played a Peavey once and was pretty pleased with the tone, actually. Thanks again.

And for the guy who enjoys his crate--squiers and fenders are also made by the same company. Think about it.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Check all the big companies out, it's best to do that to get a general idea of everything, try the carvins, try the peavey's, try the ampeg's, try the fender's... See what you like.

Everything's opinionated here, I like Peavey better than Ampeg.
    A lot of people will disagree with me there.
    A lot will agree.

Just find what "you" like best. But if you wanna try peavey's I suggest giving the BAM 210 a serious look. It has tons of nice features. :) :)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I guess some of this was in response to what I posted (you only quoted me):

Originally posted by CrawlingEye

Easton; Pennsylvania.

And you can't determine the price of something that was a promodel and just getting shipped now.

You lost me on that one...what is a promodel and why can't you figure out a price based on list minus the dealer's discount?

I've tried various ampeg heads, with Ampeg 8x10 cab's. I didn't like any of it. A 300 watt head was weaker than any 100 watt head I've ever tried. I've tried just about all of their combos, considering that's pretty much the only thing that GV sells (And's the only thing I can try a bass out on)

Thanks, I was wondering if you'd actually tried an Ampeg in a gig situation.

And for your question "Why? ...tone?"

You're right, I think Peavey has a much better tone than ampeg. Ampeg's sound sounds like it's missing something.
    And no, it's not my bass, because I own 3 bass's. and have used each of them on Ampeg's and on my Peavey rig before buying them.

It was a rhetorical question: "Why" do "I" have a B-100R? The answer was "tone".

Overall volume should be an issue. Volume in the more factual sense, as in how fat the signal is.

Peavey's have a much fuller sound than Ampeg IMO, and you're not gonna change that. I don't know what the point of your arguing is, Oysterman or whatever the hell your name is.

Pretty sure this isn't aimed at me;)

Looks like oysterman is disagreeing with you, I guess that could be construed as an argument instead of a simple disagreement. You like Peavey, cool. Oysterman doesn't...cool. You'll both live:D

Again, the Ampegs that were being discussed weren't tube. Maybe at some point you'll realize that when you say this:

"I've found tube heads/amps have way less overall volume to them than a solid state amp"

That's only taking into consideration your experiences. Consider what you "haven't" heard and that answer may not be as final. That's an extremely broad statement that has a ton of exceptions. Tried an Aguilar yet? Traynor? Sunn? Eden?

gonzo85, for a round, smooth tone I'd recommend the Ampeg B-100R or BA-115. You'll have a couple of hundred bucks left in your budget for strings;)
    Of course check out as many amps/combos as you can first...It'll be your amp, not ours.