What to buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEDIUMUS, Sep 5, 2005.

Sep 5, 2005

I am looking for new bass, my first. I have been playing drums for about nine years, and would like to learn bass too. Bass has always interested me and now I am taking the plunge. I just snagged this off ebay today. AMP After doing some research, this looked like a great deal. Now I need a bass. I have an extra drumset that I will either sell outright or trade in at Guitar Center or somewhere else depending how much they will give me. I figure I will have $400 to spend after trades.

So basically, I could use some recommendations around that price. One of my favorite bass lines of all time is War's "The World is a Ghetto" I'm assuming he is using a Fender Jazz bass or something similar? Anyway I could achieve a similar sound with my budget?

2. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    well, since you already have an decent amp (way better than my first amp), $400 can go quite a ways for a first bass. since you plan on going there anyways, go to GC before you decide on anything or trade anything in, and play every bass within about a hundred either way of your price range. i would personally recommend a spector performance series, if they carry them at your GC. i wish i would have known about them before getting my 2nd bass.

i havent heard the song, nor am i familiar with the band, but if they do use a fender jazz in the song, you should check out the fender mim series. theres also yamaha, ibanez, and countless others to check out. the main thing is to just get out there and find out whats comfortable to you, in feeling, in sound, and in looks.

good luck on your search
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't quite remember what War's bassist used on it, but I'm positive it was a Fender, and I'm fairly sure it was a Jazz, but not 100%.

$400 or slightly more can get you a really good used Fender. Maybe even a MIA Fender. I paid $510 for a used MIA Jazz. If you get a Precision, which is an equally good bass, you could probably get one for $400. MIM Fenders are decent but it takes a bit of looking around to get a good one.
  4. Before this thread gets swamped with SX suggestions, I think you should go try out a lower end Ibanez SR, Spector Performer, or Schecter Diamond Series.

5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Check out the ESP LTDs as well, the 4 string 200 level ones start aroudn $400 IIRC and are quite nice basses for that price range.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    [info hijack]
    WAR, as in the famous Low Rider and Why Can't We Be Friends songs. WAR bio and info
    [/info hijack] :D

As for what he bass he used, I have no clue. Sorry.
  7. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ohhhhhhhhh, the low rider band.
    all i could think of when i first saw it was "war, what is it good for, absolutely nothin" :bassist:

Sep 5, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking a Fender would be over my budget, especially if I end up getting one from Guitar Center. I am going there today, because believe it or not they have a big sale! :p I'll check out Ibanez, Spectar, and maybe Peavey?

Also, I figure I will go with a 5 string, just so I don't regret going with a 4 later on. I really don't want to have to buy new gear within the next 2 years. Hopefully I won't get the upgrade bug that quickly. :p Like I said, I will be pretty much starting from scratch as I have never really played. I want to learn, so I will push myself to get better. Hopefully my piano and drum background will ease the learning curve a little.