1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by St Jimi, Dec 29, 2011.

1. St Jimi

St Jimi

Apr 30, 2011
    need a new bass, it must sound good, look good, be able to hold a drop A sharp tuning and cost around £500.

I have looked at esp and schecter especially the damien 4 ( http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Damien-4.aspx ) but would welcome advice from anyone who has it, thankyou :)

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Buy the nicest one for you that you can find based on having it in your hands for playability and fit and listening to it thru amp.

3. St Jimi

St Jimi

Apr 30, 2011
    thanx but its hard to find a range of basses as heavy as im after in the real world, the second biggest shop in the uk had three viable ones but not really what i was after, im still looking but it seems increasingly likely i will have to order online

4. I would definitely recommend a 5 string if you're playing in drop A. My 4 string doesn't even like drop C, but with a good setup and the right strings, it can be pulled off.

5. Yorick

Yorick

Nov 10, 2006
    I'd look at something like a Yamaha BB414, about £300, and factor in the price of a decent set of drop tune strings, or a five string set, and a good set up. I've used my BB414 tuned down to B with a slightly heavier guage E, a .115 and a really good set up. You may want a Hipshot on as well.