1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to choose? I need a cab. Cheap, but not too crappy...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plinkerton, May 11, 2010.

1. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    I'm so sick of looking at all this stuff.

I used to play bass, but decided to stop a few years ago. Recently sold my G&L JB-2, and was just asked to play bass for a terrible rock band.

Since I don't have anything else to do, I agreed. As of now, since I have no gear, I'm using a piece of crap Rogue 5 string, thru some crap rented combo amp.

Since I don't want to be a "bass player" anymore, I'm trying to piece together some gear on the cheap, or at least get a deal on something so I can resell it when this "band" falls apart...

I have purchased a cheap bass, a Yamaha RBXA2, the white one, which I will be putting a Nintendo logo sticker on...

I am now trying to find a cab. I have my old Hartke HA3000 head, that has been sitting in storage for a few years, and just want a cab that will work, but that will be loud enough that I won't need to add anything later.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, but I do have money to spend, as long as I have a pretty decent chance of getting it back later, when I sell. I'm kind of trying to avoid anything new for that reason.

I want something at 4Ohms, as I don't plan on adding anything later, and want as much power as I can get out of the HA3000 (300 watts).

I would love to be able to only use a 2x10, or a 1x12, but I'm worried that I won't be loud enough as a permanent stand alone. I don't honestly think that we'll ever get good enough to gig, but everyone else in the band seems to think so.

I've been looking at Avatar stuff, as it's cheap-ish. Am I crazy to think that a 210 or 112 will work?

Should I just find a 410 and go for that?

I also wouldn't mind getting a combo amp like this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB115-1x15-200W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=581052

If I was sure it could cut it. I'd rather not spend anything over $400, and really, I'd rather top out at $300 max.

I don't have to sound great, but I don't want a piece of crap either.

Anyway, something used would be great, and I've been staring at the classifieds all day. I'm just so sick of looking.

I just want to make sure I'll be loud enough for anything that could come up.

Anyone have any ideas? Thoughts? Things I haven't thought of?

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Look for a 4Ω 410 Peavey, in either the front ported TVX or the rear ported TXF variety. Shouldn't set you back more than $250 and it will always be worth $250, for when the delusion of grandeur explodes.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why not quit now?

5. Craigs List dude.

In the past week i have seen 3 2x15s for under $300 (one was a Mesa!), 1x15s for under $150 and a couple 4x10s under $300. Just shop around, i'm sure you'll find something rad.

6. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    Thanks guys. Ill check the acoustic and peavy. I live in a VERY small town, so craigslist hasn't been helpful.

As for quitting now, it's a valid thought. :) it will be fun, the guys are all nice. I just don't think were gonna get famous like they seem to think we will.

I'm an old time banjo player now. I focus more on that. But I've always liked playing bass.

7. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    So, between a TVX Peavy, and an Acoustic, is there an overwhelming preference?

It does seem that both the link to the Acoustic, and the Peavy on Musicians friend are both 8ohms.

There is also the Behringer Ultrabass BB410 1200W 4x10 Bass Cabinet for the same price.

Are they all just a toss up as far as the best one?

Also, it seems my amp will put out 180 at 8 ohms. I'm not real familiar with how loud I would need to get, as I never played anything that loud when I used to play.

Is 180 still going to be plenty loud thru a 4x10? I don't mind an 8ohm cab, but odds are, I won't need to add anything to it. Though if it would work either way, I could go 8, just in case we're the next big thing, and I need to get another cab.

8. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    Okay, scrap the Ultrabass. No one has anything favorable to say about Behringer.

9. I say go for an Avatar. I've got a 112 and a 210 and like them both. Personally I prefer the tone of the 112 if I'm just using one, but I prefer low-mids in my tone.

When I use just the 210, I stand it on end making it basically the same height as a 410 would be. That gets it sort of close to my ears. Unless the band is SUPER loud, I think you could keep up with a 210.

I play with a drummer, two guitars, keys and vocals. 200 watts through a 210 is plenty for me for practice and small bar gigs.

My guitarist plays through a 50 watt mesa combo and the drummer actually plays with some sense of dynamics (not always and full out volume).

So, if your guitarist plays a full stack, or your drummer is animal from the Muppets, you might need more than I do.

10. Behringer 4x10, $300 new and not too shabby.

11. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    Can anyone else chime in about the Avatar?

I'd much rather get their 210 or 112. At least I'd know I'd have something decent. And it would be smaller, which would be nice.

I could get an 8ohm, for the chance that I'd have to add something later, if the 180 watts will be enough. But, honestly, I REALLY don't want to have to do that, as I don't want to dump a lot of cash into this.

12. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I would take avatar over all the options suggested, its a step up in quality and you can get a 4ohm 2 x10 rated 500 watts that will take the ha3000 no problems

13. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Avatar 212 or 410. My 212 with delta LF's has served me well for 4 years. I upgraded to a Berg 610 for gigs but the Avatar remains for rehearsals. Sounds plenty good and loud with my Eden WT405.

14. Echovox

Echovox

May 8, 2009
    I have a Schroeder 4ohm 15L cabinet thta has been changed to a 600 watt 4ohm speaker that kicks ass. I have 2 of these cabs, but as of recent have just been using one. Plenty loud and compact too.
    Looking to sell one of them if you are interested Plinkerton

15. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    The problem with the Avatar, is that the 212 and the 410 are 150-200$ more than I want to spend.

I could swing the 112 and the 210, but I want to make sure I have enough.

And honestly, I feel like if I got a 8ohm 210, it would be fine for quite a while. We've got a lot of in home practice ahead of us, and there are no big venues around here anyway. It's possible someday we could be playing outside, as it's pretty common to play in a gazebo in a park here for festivals. But I guess by that time, I'd be okay with buying another cab.

If a 210 avatar at 180watts is loud enough for any in home practice, and small gigs, maybe that's what I should do.

The stuff they want to play is Weezer, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, Alice in chains, etc.

But my god, do we have a long way to go...

16. korngold

korngold Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    I have two older Genz Benz 1x12 cabs and they sound very good. The look a LOT like the Aguilar 1x12 (GS112, I think it's called). They can put out quite a bit of sound. If we're not playing somewhere where I need my large cabs and can get by going direct or with a mic, I just take my Genz cabs. They supply plenty of stage volume. In fact, the first gig that I played with the Genz cabs was the first time my band told me I was too loud.

Where are you located? You can search x miles of your place on Craigslist using SearchTempest.com. You could also check Daddy's Junky Music, Music Go Round, and Guitar Center online for their deals on used stuff. Most of them will be happy to mail stuff to you. Just be careful with GuitarCenter... the ones I have ordered from lately (for rare used stuff) seem to think that brown newspaper stuff is ample packaging material for 40+ pound items.

17. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well in practice I use an 8ohm 15 with 170 watts (HA5000 on a single channel)and its been sufficient with my band who play the same stuff, but yeah for gigs it wont be enough. in my case I have PA support for gigs

18. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

Feb 22, 2007
    Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

So, at this point, I think I'm here:

Acoustic B410 400W 4x10
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B410-400W-4x10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600775

Peavey TVX 410 EX 4X10
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TVX-410-EX-4X10-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600558

Or either an Avatar 112 or 210.

The 212 and 410 Avatar's are just more than I want to put into this at the moment. We're a mediocre band, with very mediocre equipment at the moment, and no one else in the band really has any money to upgrade.

So, of those choices? Which is it? I'm leaning towards the Peavey or Acoustic at the moment, because at least they're full size 410's.

19. If you want to sell your gear after and not be a bass player again, then it actually makes more sense to buy expensive gear - buy used boutique equipment here in the TB classifieds, and when you're done, you can sell it again for the same price.

If you buy cheap gear it's just going to lose value and you'll have a hard time selling it for what you paid.

IMHO.