Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do about a ding on my stingray?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by birdsg, Sep 9, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Hi, apologies if this has been asked but I have done a search and not found an answer....

I just whacked my translucent orange stingray into my amp :bawl: and theres a small ding in the paintwork.

The ding is about 5mm x 3mm and isnt that noticeable but its the first one. When I say its a ding what it really is is the translucent finish has been knocked off and its back to bare wood.

As I see it I can do one of the following...

1) Ignore it, I am bound to get more and it will add character over the years.

2) Dont try and make it look better as such but put some varnish or similar on it to seal it?

3) Take it to a pro and get it touched up or repainted in the area - not sure how succesfull or expensive this would be.

What would anyone recommend? Thanks in advance for any replies..

Steve

2. Here's what I would do. Get a bottle of clear fingernail polish. This is the bassists best friend. Don't get the polyester - just the lacquer. Yup, this stuff is nitro lacquer! Then I would begin painting in layers of clear until it had dried hard and flush with the surrounding area. If you want to go so far as sanding smooth and polishing, you can but I usually just let the clear be a sealing coat and I don't bother to smooth if it's small enough. You aren't doing anything permanent or devaluing - a luthier can easily remove this if a refinish is attempted. But until then, you've got it sealed from moisture and dirt and it will help keep any more finish from flaking off.

Hope this helps.

3. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Wow, thats a neat idea thanks, I will give that a go maybe...seems to make sense.
    Thanks!

Steve