1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do about interference from a non-member?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 19, 2009.

1. OK, I need some help on this one.

Bascially we've got this guy who sometimes helps us out with moving equipment, but he's not actually a member of the band.

Anyway, over the last few weeks he's begun getting in the way a lot. He's one of those types who seems to have an answer to everything, and when our band is discussing stuff, he'll butt in with smart-alec stuff.

He also seems to think he knows better than the band members, setting up kit the way 'he thinks it should be done' and so he's getting me annoyed as much as anyone.

Has anyone got any suggestion as to how to deal with this? I've already warned him several times and yet he continues.

2. Tell him to f*** off? Anyone else in the band feel this way too?

3. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    That would be my answer.

4. Only problem is that we NEED someone to help us with the gear and this guy is one of the better guys we've had.

5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I was in the same situation years ago and here's what we did.

We "hired" him. We sat him down and said that he would be the start of our "road" crew. The band had talked together about this before hand and we had each decided to give up a small portion of our pay to kick in for his salary, To be honest you could make more money playing years ago so we could afford to give him some without killing our share, but I think you see my point.

We approached him stating that he would be an employee and NOT a member of the band. We had a list of specific tasks that he would be required to complete at every gig. We also explained that as he was not a member of the band that his input or comments were to be kept to himself unless we asked him directly for his input.

He could have any "perks" that he was able to obtain on his own, ie: tips, drinks, chicks, as long as it didn't interfere with the band, show, gig, and as long as it didn't reflect poorly on the bands image.

We reinforced the fact that this was a way to reward him for helping us on gigs. Also we made sure that he understood that he was an employee hired to do a job and that we could send him down the road at any time. We set up one person in the group to be his "direct" contact, who would then get him his list and make sure he did the work we needed and got him paid. The guitar player was the most straight up no nonsense guy so he was the contact guy.

It really did work out good in the long run. The fact that he was getting paid and the fact that we did from time to time ask him for his input (just to make him feel he was part of the whole thing). Our so called helper eventually got a PRO attitude and ended up taking care of our total set up, PA, lights, and effects. He became the director of our 3 man crew.

Forgot to mention one other thing. We had T-shirts made up for him the had the band name and the word CREW in big letters underneath. Hey, a little thing but it went a long way to get his attitude adjusted and under control :)

Hope this helps.

Keep Low :bassist:

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I know this will sound dumb..

Get smaller gear.. you'd be amazed at what's out there in the MIDI and self-powered stuff.

If anyone needs roadies - chances are they need to also visit a pro audio store (no GC doens't count)... it may mean a 100% revamp of the setup.. may mean that folks can not aspire after some tone/sound that the audience doesn't care about. There are some VERY high end solutions out there that don't weigh a ton and cut your time in 1/2.

Remember.. sound guys are like bass guys but worse.. we all kind of wish we were in the spot light.. but we'll take what we can get.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Unless there is a consequence to your warnings, they mean nothing. Once you let it go on and on, you are essentially lying. I mean, you say something, yet nothing happens so the guy learns that you don't stand by your word.

I suggest as posted above that you have a band meeting, write up what you want in detail from the guy, meet with him and, having a professional manner, explain everything. Tell him he does a great job and you want to keep him on but since you'll be working together (hopefully for awhile) let him know that you want to standardize your procedures so everyone is on the same page.

If he's not on the same page as you at the meeting, cut him loose. IMO, There will only be more problems ahead.

IME, since he is butting into the band's business right now, I would consider cutting him loose w/o meeting. Some people just don't get it.

Good luck.

8. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Are you paying him?

If you are then tell him to do his job. If there's cash on the table you'll have no problems replacing him.

If he's helping you out as a favour then he's free to say and/or do whatever he likes: You have to either put up with it, or get some one else. I sugguest that if he's running around after you for free, and you need his help that you might want to say "thank you", and let him have the odd rant.

9. afromoose

afromoose Guest

There is an acupressure point just near your ear lobe that if you press it, it helps to not care as much what people think of you. Press this for a while.

10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Maybe you and the rest the band need to hit the gym.:D

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    An excellent solution to a tough problem. Kudos.

12. WHughes

WHughes

Nov 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Never discuss band business in front of anyone. When several guys are throwing opinions around, its very easy for Joe Blow to think his is welcome as well.

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Hell, if the guy is good, let him work.

You guys should know how to ignore input you don't want.

Plus, in this economy, you don't want to can anybody if you can help it.

Take the high road.

blue

14. That is an outstanding bit of advice.

if hiring the dude, and then expecting him to do what is required of him does not work for you... then tell him to Shut the &^%$ up, and %$#& OFF.

15. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you absolutely have to use this guy, then learn to put up with him. Otherwise, there are 6,999,999,999 other people in the world -- a fair number of them could fit the bill. Look. But remember: you usually get what you pay for (see 60bass above).

Or do the setups yourselves.

By any chance, this wouldn't be the guy who set your drum kit up as a righty . . . . ?

As I get older, I find it getting easier and easier to NOT put up with other people's BS. If I recognize it at such.

16. All great advice! Cheers guys!

17. a bass makes a great club...
    konk him over the head, he'll get the idea

I've done it and it works

18. Freaking kick him in the face with your ENERGY LEGS.

powerthirst.

19. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Let him know that he can suggest all he wants and that you will listen to his suggestions but that the band makes the decisions on what happens- including personell! Have band meetings away from distractions and unwanted input:bassist:

20. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    :bassist:
    Thanks. Make sure you drop back and let us know what shakes out.

Keep Low