1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to do about my rig (cabinets question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 20Hz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    So I posted this in my 'what's my ampeg' thread but it got buried. So I'll try again for some sage advice:

I'm trying to figure out what to do about my rig:

Hartke 7000
    SVT 410 HE
    Crate 115 JBL

I feel like the 15 is the weaker cab, but the 410 is no great shakes running alone (mono). Reading the specs off Ampeg's website, it seems like the SVT 410 HE doesn't have a lot of bottom end. And actually it seems like the 15 has better high end response if I'm running them bi-amped and switch the hi and lo outs. The thing that's got me thinking is that one day I was sick and lazy so I didn't lug my 15 to the rehearsal studio, and just plugged the Hartke in to the SWR 610 cab they have there, mono. It kicked ass, much better than anything I've been able to get out of my two cabs.
    So what I'm wondering is, would I be better off ditching them both and getting one more modern, lower extending 410? Or something like the 610 or a Henry 8x8?
    I play heavy rock, funk etc. Spend lots of time on the Low B and want it all (punch, growl and depth). It seems like the amp has what it takes. If I traded both for say...an Acme Low B4 or some other solid 410 with good extension, I'm wondering if I'm going to give up anything, aside from a little volume..

Thx in advance for those of you who have experience with similar setups..

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The He cab doesn't get alot of love around here. I used to have one, and liked it fine. But I replaced it with a Mesa Powerhouse 410. Now that's a cab with some bottom, and middle, and top. I think just about any good quality 4x10 is gonna get you there. The HE seems better when paired with another cab. Even the HLF would be better, though I have no expirience with those. Alot of folks here love 'em.

3. Woah, that ampeg seems kinda out of place with those other cabs. By the sounds of it you obviously don't like the combo though.

All depends how much your willing to spend and how big/small you want your amp to be. In really heavy bands you need plenty of projection if your against 2 guitarists and want to cut through. The amp shouldn't be a problem, I've heard plenty of people get plenty of tones out of it, I wouldn't like it personally cos it sounds a bit modern but I don't mind borrowing one at all at gigs cos I always hear myself really well.

You considered maybe trying out a matching 15 and 4x10? The full Hartke rigs seem to cope with 5 stringers pretty well (and the people I've seen who have them usually have 5 stringers anyway).

4. IMO I'd sell the two and buy one very good cab. You'd get better sound and have less to tote. If you like the SWR 6x10 or Henry I would suggest the Bergie 610 for a listen too.
    Good luck! :D

5. jdmmusic

jdmmusic

Dec 8, 2006
    I rented an Ampeg 410 HLF a few times and was always impressed with it's ability to cut threw guitars and drums. It wouldn't fit in my trunk so being impressed with Ampeg I ended up buying an HE before looking into the differences closely.

I've never been impressed with it - the bottom end isn't nearly as solid, especially when pushed and it's clacky in the higher register.

I've got a new car now so I'm going to unload the HE and get an HLF. It's awesome for regular rock stuff - adds some colour and growl. Might not be best for other types of music, though if you're looking for spot on representation of your bass sound.

6. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    Yeah I do have a challenge with 2 guitarists, plus I like to scoop the high mids (putting on my flame suit) so I want very clear and punchy low lows and low mids. I want my cake and eat it too basically. The SWR 610 had some very good things going for it, tonewise when paired with my amp, really good low mids but it's missing the low lows. Anyway, I agree with you that I think my amp is fine, and I'm going to lug it down to bass northwest tomorrow and plug into some interesting cabinets, and see what happens..

7. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    Thanks, I'll check that out too. The aguilar 4x12 intrigues me too.. but it's going to be hard to figure out how to get one (and I think the bergantino falls in the same boat) because I'm basically trying to unload both of mine plus a small amount of cash

Just put down the deposit on a new Bee, so my budget is basically trade + a C note..

8. Yeah I do a little scoop on the high mids too, dunno if it's enough to call it a "scoop" though. My EQs pretty subtle apart from having my bass on full, but it's a pretty weak control compared to my graph and is more "like the kind of thing you'd get on a hi-fi" according to my local techy. A little cut around 2k and a bit round it to get rid of a little excess pick noise does me fine other then that.

Definitely recommend checking on the matching aluminium cabs, nice deep sound to the especially if you get a 15 and 10. Maybe even try the Hartke 2x15 if you can find one if you don't like your high mids too much. Gotta Berg NV215 myself and it emphasises the low mids nicely without having to cut too much high mid, not to mention the deep-but-tight sub bass that you can get out of it :p I also deal with 2 pretty heavy guitarists and the 2x15 sits nicely behind it while being very very clear, no chance of guitarists invading on your low end power with 15s either, unless you have some very low voiced 10s.

9. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    so I traded them for a used Acme Low B4. It's perhaps not the ideal cabinet for my amp, since it has a reputation for being power hungry and the 7000 only is going to give it half the power (the amp is 350+350 but it's only going to get 350)...but I really dig the bottom end/punchiness combo. And I figure once I'm done paying for my new bee that Fred's going to make me :hyper: I can always add a 2x10 or 2x12 or something compelling, and get back the other half of my amp. I'm pretty happy with the way the B4 sounds so far... we'll see how it does cranked up with 2 guitarists.